• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Restoration of Dollond refractor

Started by Roberto, Oct 05, 2020, 11:00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Wow that's looking fantastic  8)

It's great to see the pictures of the finished restoration.

Well done for all that hard work!

Mark

Roberto

Thank you Mark!  I'm glad to have finished this project (for now).  Still have to machine an adapter to use modern eyepieces and test it under the stars.

Roberto

Carole

You've done a fantastic job Roberto

Carole

Roberto

Thank you Carole!  Hopefully sometime we all get to use it!

Roberto

NoelC

Well done Roberto
For a non-woodworker - not to shabby at all!
The whole thing looks really smart.  Will the brass retain it's shine, or tarnish - looks so good at present.
Did you say you painted the eyepieces- was that just the black, or have you been lettering under a microscope?

I hope you'll bring it to the next meeting at Petts Wood too.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Hi Noel

Thank you!  The brass will tarnish if I don't apply lacquer to it.  I am reluctant to do so as my paint spraying skills are not great and as it gets cold, I cannot do this outdoors with good results.  For the time being I have put the scope away in its box after applying a good dose of Renaissance Wax to it.  Hopefully that will help to slow down the oxidation process.

As for the eyepieces, I only had to paint some nicks and scratches in black with a fine brush and polish the brass somehow - not to the extent of the scope or its major parts.

I do hope I can bring it over either to Otford or across the street to the regular meetings when they resume.

Roberto