• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New and improved items

Started by Carole, Feb 26, 2020, 16:00:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Not bought anything new for ages as pretty much settled with my 3 refractors and 2 CCD cameras. I only tend to use the ED120 when I have a small target to image so it doesn't get used much, almost tempted to sell it but keep thinking I will regret it. 
I can interchange my small and large FOV cameras and ED80 and WOZS71 to have either a dual rig (where they produce a matching FOV (almost), or swap them around if the target is large or small.

Decided to get my HEQ5 Rowan belt modded as it's a few years old now, and I was getting a "blip" when I did Polemaster routine where the star did not stay on the circle for a short distance and then would suddenly jump back onto the circle.  As the mount has never been opened I decided it was time for a service, and while I was at it might as well get it Belt modified.  So I posted it down to First Light Optics and got it back two days ago, have not tried it out for imaging as yet.

I decided to buy myself a decent camera lens as I'd like to get into more widefield and more proficient when I go on holiday etc and can't take the imaging rig.  The stars in my last effort (Antares Region) left a lot to be desired.  There are a number of people raving about the Samyang 135mm F2 lens on sGL, so decided to take the plunge and bought one.

I am now back to the learning curve again as not a lot of experience of camera lens imaging.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Cool , look forward to seeing great images at DSC,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

Was raving about it a few years ago.  A lot of people have trouble with tilt but that is usually down to how well the lens/camera interface mate together.  You will also need something to focus with unless stopping it down as the CFZ @f/2 is minute; focusing can involve a lot of tapping on the focus knob.

It is a really fun lens, I hope you enjoy it.

Robert

Carole

I have been recommended to start at F2.8 or F3. 

Yes focussing is a PITA with camera lenses, I have a camera lens Bahtinov mask and normally put a dollop of blue tac on the focus ring once I have found focus to stop it moving.  But I might get one of these.

http://www.astrokraken.fr/samyang-135mm-f-2-bracket-micro-focuser-a145773756

I have heard about the tilt problem.  Rob on SGL has designed an adapter that alleviates that problem with a CCD camera but it means you have to lose the Canon bayonet on the lens.  I am not up to doing that, plus I'd really like to be able to use the DSLR sometimes.

I've got a Geoptik Canon lens to CCD adapter but not sure how secure it will be or how firm.  I have used it with my other lenses, but it doesn't have a click lock mechanism so there is a danger of separation and catastophy, so am still doing some thinking.

Carole

Carole

Finally got my Adapter from Bern (made in China), and set up the rig last night.

I also ordered from France a set of mounting rings and a microfocusser. 

Of course all this was before things got so bad with the Coronavirus, at least our hobby can be done in isolation, though will be stuck with LP for the forseeable.  Just need a clear night now.

This is before adding all the cables.  I have tied the CCD camera and EFW on for extra safety.

I also set up the ED80/Atik428EX on the same rig as all the widefield stuff disappears at around 11pm from here so i can continue on with smaller targets.

Roy

Hi Carole,

You'll be amazed at the improvement in performance the belt drive modification makes to the HEQ5, not least to the noise it makes - we were told by another member of the Society that our HEQ5 was the noisiest he'd ever heard - now it isn't.  8) However, I'm thinking two things regarding HEQ5, firstly it's several years since it was modified and the likelihood is the belt will have stretched slightly, but they're not expensive to replace. Also the mount probably needs an overhaul and I would like ours to be done by Dark Frame and have up-rated bearings (ceramic?) fitted.
Roy

Carole

I had not heard of Dark Frame.  I got mine done by FLO. 

Hopefully tonight will be the first test of both the Belt Mod and the Samyang lens.

Carole