• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disappearing Tripod feet ties???

Started by ApophisAstros, Jul 13, 2019, 15:43:17

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Had scope out on patio for a while and sitting having an ice cream next to scope i noticed that the rubber tie that goes around the bottom of each leg shoe has almost gone on all of them , i definitely had all fixed and complete when i set up i dont think they would perish in a week so am assuming something is eating them perhaps? Any ideas would be welcome.
Roger

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

NO idea what you are referring to as "ties".

Sorry.

Carole

Rick

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jul 13, 2019, 19:59:42
NO idea what you are referring to as "ties".

Sorry.

Carole
if you zoom in there is a rubber tie (mostly gone now)  that wraps around the bottom of the tripod leg and helps the shoe from moving ,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

NoelC

The foxes round us will nibble almost anything.  Forever losing gloves and dog leads (occasionally find the chewed up remains in the fields). We have one that regularly removes the drain cover (can't think why).
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: NoelC on Jul 16, 2019, 12:00:04
The foxes round us will nibble almost anything.  Forever losing gloves and dog leads (occasionally find the chewed up remains in the fields). We have one that regularly removes the drain cover (can't think why).
Thing is if you google fox prevention it says that they don't like anything that smells of humans and on patio it must have loads of human smells around so more likely mice as i have seen a few on previous nights but its not happened before on multiple nights.
Roger

NoelC

Quote from: Apophis on Jul 16, 2019, 13:19:36
..they don't like anything that smells of humans..
..unless it smells edible.
I can tell you from experience there is very little that smells inedible to a fox. 

Rats is a possibility, but I generally see gnawing and droppings and  if they are about.  An electric fence is the only thing I have found reliably deters foxes.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

I think it is likely to be rats, they eat almost anything.  Though as Noel says normally you see droppings.

Carole

Hugh

I hope we find out what it is ~ I'm quite intrigued by the mystery!

Hugh :D

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jul 16, 2019, 14:36:36
I think it is likely to be rats, they eat almost anything.  Though as Noel says normally you see droppings.

Carole
Only ever seen Hedgehog poo only on garden when we have put out mealworm out for them.No other poo found on patio though.
Roger

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Hugh on Jul 16, 2019, 16:21:09
I hope we find out what it is ~ I'm quite intrigued by the mystery!

Hugh :D
Unless something hands itself in :squirrel: :ferret: :unicorn: :raven: :donkey: :rat: :parrot: :suspicious: :baa: :flame: :alien2: then i fear its a "who shot JFK" scenario,
Roger

Carole

Haven't you got a webcam thingy that you watch your kit with, perhaps you can set it up to look at the feet of the tripod.  Put something similar there and watch what happens to it.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jul 17, 2019, 11:25:18
Haven't you got a webcam thingy that you watch your kit with, perhaps you can set it up to look at the feet of the tripod.  Put something similar there and watch what happens to it.

Carole
Apart from the fact that they are all gone now, when i use that camera to record with Sharpcap , it takes up mega amounts of storage,not sure how to save using less in Sharpcap.
Also i don't want to encourage it to keep finding "Food"! Will use a metal tie next time as a defensive measure.
Roger

Carole

I don't have ties on my foot pads.  Just wondering how necessary they are.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jul 17, 2019, 12:34:52
I don't have ties on my foot pads.  Just wondering how necessary they are.

Carole
Only Used them because they were on there when i got them might not bother now , hope they don't get a taste for the shoes :lol: :lol:
Roger