• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CPRE Dark Skies Campaign 2019

Started by NoelC, Jan 27, 2019, 14:35:27

Previous topic - Next topic

NoelC

Are people taking part in the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England's Star Count (in association with the BAA) as part of their Dark Skies campaign?
It kicks off next week, starting on the 2nd of Feb running through to the 23rd, participants are asked to count the number of stars visible to the naked eye in Orion.
https://www.cpre.org.uk/what-we-do/countryside/dark-skies/star-count-2019

This may seem a little basic, but the more people that get involved, the more traction they will get and CPRE are reasonably effective in influencing policy.

Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Will make a point of doing so.

The other night we came home after an evening out, I must admit to having had a bit to drink but was OK.

I looked at the sky approaching my house, OK the Moon was up and there were some street lamps, but I can normally see Orion OK.  But this time I could not even see it in the sky, all I could see was Betelgeuse and Rigel, everything else was virtually invisible.

Carole

Carole

Done.  I could only see the 3 in the belt, and just occasionally a blink from one in the sword.

Carole