• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gallery "keywords" are actually album cross-links

Started by Rick, Sep 20, 2007, 21:28:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

This is a bit of Coppermine idiocy strangeness...

QuoteKeywords is mis-named. It allows you to place an image in other secondary albums. Each album has its own "keyword", and your image will appear in any album for which it has the matching "keyword". Each of the main albums has a note of its "keyword" in its description.

To make this clearer, the O.A.S gallery has had "keyword" changed to "link-word".

The main "link-words" which work are:

• Asteroid
  • Aurora
  • Camp
  • Comet
  • Data
  • Eclipse
  • Event
  • Galaxy
  • Jupiter
  • Mars
  • Mercury
  • Messier
  • Meteor
  • Misc
  • Moon
  • Nebula
  • Neptune
  • Obs
  • Outing
  • Process
  • Satellite
  • Saturn
  • Scope
  • Star
  • Sun
  • Venus

Each user also has a private album with a "link-word" usually matching the username.

The gallery's search can look at any of the fields in the description. If you think an image needs keywords (in the more normal sense of "a word useful for identifying...") then use them in the title or somewhere in the description, and a search will find them.

Please note you do not need to put terms into the "link-words" section to make the term searchable because the gallery search looks at titles and descriptions. You only really need to use "link-words" if you want an image to show up in more than one album. (Yes, I know I've said that twice in different ways...)

By the way, it's worth remembering that the visibility of linked files (ones that have an album's "link-word" in their "link-words" section) is controlled by the settings of the album they're in. If you use a "link-word" to link an image from your Previews and Works-in-Progress to a public album then you will be the only person able to see it in the public album.

Rick

This has been causing way too much confusion. I've taken the plunge and changed the nomenclature to match the function.

"Keywords" are no more.

"Link-words" is the new term.

Mac

Rick

Quote from: Mac
can we have a link-word for pluto please.

There is one already. Pluto belongs in the "Asteroids and Dwarf Planets" album which has the link-word "Asteroid". Therefore the link-word for Pluto is "Asteroid". 8)

There is one (and only one*1) link-word for each individual gallery album.  :twisted:

You only need to enter a link-word if you want your image to be visible in more than one album. There's no need to enter the link-word for an image's primary album, and random words in the link-word field which do not refer to any album are a waste of space.

*1 Insert appropriate Highlander quote if required...

Rick

Quote from: Rick on Apr 22, 2009, 18:13:31random words in the link-word field which do not refer to any album are a waste of space

I've cleaned out quite a few recently. I've also finally re-applied the "Keyword" to "Link-word" change...

Rick

We're expanding the "Society Events" section of the gallery considerably, and using appropriate link-words makes a big difference. There are "by Venue" and "by Decade" sub-sections of the photos, as well as the main albums in the section. Photos can only be placed in the appropriate sub-sections if they have appropriate link-words.

For photos in the "Society Events" albums, please, where you can, use the appropriate link-word for the venue, and append the year of the event.
For example:
  • Suppose your photo was taken at an event at High Elms in 2017.
  • Find the link-word from the description of the appropriate album in "by Venue". In this case it would be "HighElms".
  • Then add the year, making the complete link-word "HighElms2017".
  • Put that in the link-word field.
  • Your photo will then appear in the "High Elms" "by Venue" album and the "Twenty Tens" "by Decade" album.

Please only do this for photos within the "Society Events" albums.

AndrewRamsay

RIck -

I've hit a snag.  Just uploaded 5 photos from our recent Outreach event at Lullingstone Park, but of course there is no Lullingstone Park link-word.  They have ended up without their tags.  Do we need to apply to you to get additional link words every time?

- Andrew

Rick

The most important thing to do is to give each picture a good title (because that's what shows up with the thumbnail), and preferably some more detail in the description. If there's useful information there then the search function can find them.

For the most-part, one-off venues don't seem to be worth their own link-word gallery, but if you give them an appropriate link-word including the year then they will turn up in the appropriate "by decade" gallery, and the link-word will (probably, so long as there aren't too many of them) show up in the search window. There are venues (like Wandsworth) that don't have their own "by venue" section. I don't see a problem with there being others like that, so long as they have some useful handle to find them by. It also gives us the option of creating a "by venue" section in the future. The gallery displays up to twelve on a single page. I split the venues into UK and overseas at least partly to avoid having more than one page of them under a single heading, as the ones on the next page will be missed by a casual browser. If necessary, we can remove the "by venue" pages that don't get a useful number of photos in them to keep the whole set on one page.