• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Advice on a Camera tracker & lenses

Started by Carole, May 24, 2015, 17:03:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Now I am starting to get some images with the DSLR lens I am thinking about getting a tracking mount for holiday travel. 

I am specifically thinking about the Ioptron Sky tracker because it is lighter for packing in a suitcase than the Star Adventurer and am also hoping I can get away with using my light tripod if I don't extend the legs fully.  I am thinking about that trip to the USA for the total eclipse in 2017 where we will be visiting some really dark sites, and obviously I will be travelling on a plane. 

Those who have used this tracking mount - are there any real disadvantages/problems to using the Ioptron Skytracker. 

Also I know absolutely nothing about camera lenses, I currently have the kit lens that came with the 450D (says 18 x 55mm and it has a zoom), and what I think is a nifty 50 (no zoom).  Is there something better I should be using that won't break the bank or weight a ton?  Actual links to suitable lenses would be useful.

Thanks

Carole

Kenny

Carole

Thanks Kenny, I had forgotten that discussion.  So answers my question about the mount.

Carole