• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Screws loose ...

Started by RobertM, Jun 20, 2015, 21:44:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well, secondary screws actually !

I've been having terrible tracking and guiding issues recently, oval stars no matter what I did.  Shorter exposures have been ok but as soon as I go over about 3 mins there is always some movement that can't be guided out.  I've really been racking my brain trying to figure it out then today I looked at the secondary on the RC... all three screws a third of a turn undone !  I guess thermal expansion over the hot and cool nights plus I couldn't have done them up tight enough to start with (though I thought I had).   Well we live and learn :(

Robert

Fay

You can get on with things now Robert   ;)
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

There is always something we can't figure out, and so often things we've not encountered before. 

Well at least you've sussed it out, must have been frustrating though.

Carole

The Thing

:frog: That's what summer is for, checking and configuring, disassembling and cleaning, and finding you have a screw loose.

RobertM

Quote from: The Thing on Jun 21, 2015, 09:57:53
:frog: That's what summer is for, checking and configuring, disassembling and cleaning, and finding you have a screw loose.

Yes. Indeedee, I'd exausted the options at the other end the I remembered what happened on the C9.25 I had...