• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC discussion/decisions

Started by Carole, May 17, 2015, 16:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Regular campsite:
Having now tried out Cairds campsite I would like feedback on how every-one felt about the campsite.  I have had positive feedback from Mark and Julian, but it would be nice if you could both repeat your comments for the benefit of this discussion.

It's not perfect, but has a lot going for it and the owners are very co-operative.  Unfortunately being a small camp they can't always accommodate us in the busy season as they have licencing restrictions as to how many they can have pitched.  They turned off lights for our benefit and charged us a reduced rate as we are a group which I hadn't realised (Mark you were overcharged in error, as they didn't realise you were part of our group, I have your refunded money). 

From the feedback I have had so far, my own impression of the site, the fact that it is nice and dark, and not too many public to contend with (and most of those who were there were interested anyway - including the owners), it has a Glamping POD (with plans for a smaller more basic 2nd one), this also suits some of our reluctant campers, I feel this is probably our best choice of camps available.

They also own a B&B about 100 yards down the road, and they said if any-one doesn't want to camp, or the POD isn't available, you can still pitch your kit on the field and walk up from the B&B. 

So my feeling is to make Cairds our primary campsite, bearing in mind it won't always be available.  Then for the time being Running Water our 2nd choice which is more expensive. 
How would every-one feel about that?

Planning dates for DSC in the future:
I obviously have to liaise with Ivor regarding dates for 2016, but I am thinking that as a lot of people go to kelling Heath Star Parties that we should omit the months which clash with Kelling as regular OAS DSCs, and call them UDSCs, so those not going to Kelling can plan their own if they wish, OR, if the New moon falls mid week, maybe we could do the weekend before or after Kelling.  I'll check on next years Kelling dates and Moon phases.

Hope these two propositions meet your approval.

Carole

Sue

I have had a close look at their web site in the light of your experience/comments Carole. I particularly like the option of a B&B for any winter DSCs. Looking forward to trying it but will not be able join in until the October one as things are at present.We do like to go to both Kelling gatherings but think we would not manage two camps in a month even when retired!
Thank you for your efforts on the DSC organisation.

Mike

Quote from: Carole on May 17, 2015, 16:21:21
I obviously have to liaise with Ivor regarding dates for 2016

Why? Deep Sky Camps are not the responsibility of the Observing Officer. They never have been and nor should they be. They are entirely independent. They should be organised by the people who go to DSC as they always have been. I am sure Ivor does not want the added responsibility of organising DSC's also on top of everything else he has to do. I ended up doing that organising on top of the rest of the Observing Officers duties and it was too much.

The dates have always been the closest weekend to the New Moon. Simple as that.

I also disagree with not having a DSC on a month that is a Kelling weekend. Not everyone goes to Kelling.

I liked Caird's. It has a good view to the S, it didn't seem to suffer from dew or mist. The facilities are pretty decent and it has a shop on site. It's also within an hour of home for me. I would definitely go back again.

However, like you said, you need a site that accommodate us all year round so we are going to need a back up. There was a planning permission notice outside that said they plan on turning it into an independent campsite and so I believe the licensing restrictions will be lifted.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I thought Cairds was a great site.  The sky was very dark - I recorded SQM of 21.1 which is very similar to Rother Valley (Northiam) on a good night and also to Running Waters.  The transparency wasn't brilliant last night so I suspect we could record even better skies than that.  Overlooking the valley (i.e. fairly high up) means it should suffer much less from mist than other locations.  Good views of the horizon from NE round to the S.

I don't remember seeing any streetlights, even in the distance, so it was quite possible to become dark-adapted.

The on-site shop was also very useful - I was very tempted by those locally produced pepper steaks and next time I'll try their own eggs!

All in all - I'm very happy to go back.  It was an astronomer friendly place in more ways than one.

Mark

Carole

QuoteWhy? Deep Sky Camps are not the responsibility of the Observing Officer.
Well when I was preparing the calendar last year, some-one told me, (I thought it was you Mike, but on the basis of what you have said, it can't have been you), that the observing officer decides the DSC dates, so I thought that was to do with co-ordination.  If I don't need to liaise with Ivor, then that's no problem. 

QuoteI also disagree with not having a DSC on a month that is a Kelling weekend. Not everyone goes to Kelling.
I was only suggesting that we don't plan an official DSC on those dates.  After all a couple of years ago, we only had DSC planned once every 3 months with UDSCs in between.  I just thought since so many people go to Kelling that it would be easier for those months to leave it to an UDSC, I didn't mean that there would be no camp at all.

If you really want to have a DSC on those months, I could leave it as it is.

QuoteThere was a planning permission notice outside that said they plan on turning it into an independent campsite
Yes, Pete was telling me about that, we need to see what changes it brings. 

Carole

julian

My thoughts about the site are:

Yes I was very happy with the facilities on the site and is a site I will be going back to.   I like the idea that they allow you to hire out a fire pit which gives us the added option on cloudy nights to sit round a real fire cooking jacket potatoes and toasting marshmallows!   While some of the others will be drinking the French stuff and Amaretto  ;)     The owners and wardens were very helpful.

Julian

ApophisAstros

Quote from: julian on May 17, 2015, 18:59:10
I like the idea that they allow you to hire out a fire pit which gives us the added option on cloudy nights to sit round a real fire cooking jacket potatoes and toasting marshmallows!   While some of the others will be drinking the French stuff and Amaretto  ;)     

Julian
how about throwing the French !?*T on the fire and getting mark to photo the light spectrum and see what elements come through. :lol: :lol: :lol:

like to agree with all of the previous comments about site....

rog
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Having previously been to Caird's with Robert I can agree with everyone though the distance to the nearest takeaway is a shocker! It seemed fairly well drained being a slope. I would definitely go back if I was back in Blighty.

Mike

Quote from: The Thing on May 17, 2015, 21:10:11
though the distance to the nearest takeaway is a shocker!

Spice Cottage - Indian Takeway - 5 min drive
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

When I was there with Duncan there was a lot of traffic and nearly all of it was full beam.  The hedge wasn't thick enough to block the light and with a bit of mist that would be enough to ruin a sub.  It's also very close to the reservoir so might suffer from mist; it certainly did when I stayed there.

Robert

Fay

I liked it very much. nice and clean and very pleasant. there were a few headlights, but the leaves are out now, so may be a bigger problem in the winter.  good to have the shop, only an hour away.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Quotegood to have the shop, only an hour away

Blimey Fay that's a long way to go for a shop.... :-)

doug

Well, Rose and I just stopped by for the Saturday evening, and we found it really good. If the pod is free, then we will definitely stay over. We had an excellent time with the Meade; saw lots of astro things .... and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Thanks to all for a warm welcome and to Julian who repaired my battery lead. Looking forward to the next one.

The next time I will extend my tripod so I don`t knacker my back peering through the red dot finder which was near the ground.

Rose and Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Great, so looks like we will need to monitor the winter period with regards to traffic lights and see how it goes.

I have been in touch with Pete regarding the availability for the rest of the year and also the facilities for his B&B which is 5 minute walk down the road, so might suit our members who would like to come but not camp.  He says that we should avoid July and August as he says there will be lots of families with lots of lights and kids running around and he is unlikely to have the space, but says he can probably accommodate us the rest of the time. 
there are also plans to build a 2nd POD which will be basic (no en-suite and no cooker), so I presume that will be cheaper to hire than the one Fay used.  (Presume you can take your own cooker and fridge). 

This is a summary of what he has said:
QuoteCairds B&B has 2 ensuite rooms
1 double room with en suite
1 with double and single bed and en suite
£60 per night with breakfast
£50 per night room only
https://www.battenhurstandcairds.com
Takeaways Wadhurst has Chinese Kabab and Indian also fish and chips  and pizza vans. Indian takeaway in Ticehurst. Pub meals Bull inn and Bell inn Ticehurst  and Rose and Crown Burwash.
We could fire up the BBQ cabin some evenings.

Carole