• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing Evening - Tonight - 9th April 2013

Started by Mike, Apr 09, 2013, 10:43:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Just a reminder that we have an Observing Session tonight.. Meet at the Change of Horses pub, Farnborough High Street, BR6 7BB from 20:15 and we will then move onto the field to set up (weather permitting). Alternatively just come straight to the field (weather permitting we will be there).

If anyone doesn't want to come to the pub but wants to come join us at the field then please do so. If you want my mobile number to check if we are up there yet or not then send me a Private Message on here and I will send it to you. Otherwise just go to the pub first, see if we are there or not and then go up to the field.

See you there!

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Is the next one Friday 10 May? (ie Tomorrow night?)

I seem to wake up to the observing and imagining nights when theyve either just happened or imminent!

Havent checked what the forecast is like.... so may obviously be academic!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

Woss goin` on??????  :o It was last Tuesday......
Always look on the bright side of life ...

doug

..... and the time is incorrect on the heading.......  :roll:

doug

.... are we using GMT on the headings????????  Are we in a time warp ?????????????????  Bloody nora  :o :o :o :o

Les R

Ah..... It was imagining on 10 May!

Whats the score on this? I've only had my Celestron 6 since March last year - and still not used it!  :oops:

Carole

Les, are you talking about imaging sessions in which case there is one on this coming Friday 10th at Robert's house, you'll need to PM him for his address.

If you're talking about observing sessions the next one is 18th June.

Carole

Les R

Ok thanks Carole.

Can you clarify what goes on in the imaging sessions? Is it photo manipulation or using telescopes to capture, or both?

Fay

Is it just me who is getting confused about different meetings pages?

is there a way we can have them all under one roof, observing, imaging, monthly meetings, DSC, UDC?

i will now be advised that they are already under the same roof!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Quote from: Fay on May 09, 2013, 16:42:22

i will now be advised that they are already under the same roof!

You mean like here ?
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=8800.0

I think Imaging sessions are for members or those that are known - I have been known to be wrong
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Les R

Quote from: Les R on May 09, 2013, 16:29:16
Ok thanks Carole.

Can you clarify what goes on in the imaging sessions? Is it photo manipulation or using telescopes to capture, or both?

^^^^^^

Anyone able to clarify?

Looking at the forecast, it doesn't seem to promising anyway! Just itching to get the chance to learn how to setup my telescope GOTO etc as much as anything!

Carole

Imaging sessions are not for learning how to use your telescope, they are for learning the practical and computerised techniques of astro-imaging, but in any case as these are held at the private home of an individual member I think they would prefer only to invite people they have actually met, so if they have not already met you, you should introduce yourself to people like Mike and Robert at the OAS meetings if you eventually decide to get into Astro-imaging.

Does your telescope not come with instructions?  If not, PM me and I'll see if I can help.  
Otherwise bring your telescope along to an Observing evening where some-one should be able to help you. The next observing evening is on 18th June, but being mid summer darkness will be very late, so plenty of time to work out the principals of how to set up your scope.  Unfortunately the weather cannot always be relied upon.  

Finally if you aren't already, you will need to be familiar with some of the brighter stars in the sky as these are always needed to align your telescope.

Carole