• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Treatment for lens flare

Started by MarkS, Oct 22, 2011, 00:20:20

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Let me know what you think of the following processing for removing flare around bright stars (which particularly plagues the Bananascope with its chunky spider).  So far, I've only treated the central star and l've deliberately left some residual flare so it still looks natural.

http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/lens_flare_before.jpg
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/lens_flare_after.jpg

Without going into ghastly detail, I've masked out the bright stars so I can calculate a "circular average" of the background around the bright star and then subtracted that average.

Mark

Mac

Looks pretty impressive to me.

It would be interesting to see this on a full sized image,

Mac.

RobertM

Yes that looks like a promising technique especially if it's a whole image process.

Robert

JohnP

Well it's definitely worked. The only thing I would say is that by removing the outer glow - the inner glow (the one that is about 1cm in diam) is a lot more prominent... can you lessen this one also?

John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Well it's definitely worked. The only thing I would say is that by removing the outer glow - the inner glow (the one that is about 1cm in diam) is a lot more prominent... can you lessen this one also?

Possibly, but I'm still experimenting.  Also I'd like to apply it semi-automatically to all stars - at present I would have to laboriously do it one star at a time.  Also I'm not sure I can justify the technique scientifically - I'm tampering with the image in a manner I'm not entirely happy about :(

It's the start of a slippery slope - I may end up removing diffraction spikes next :evil:

Mark

JohnP

QuoteI may end up removing diffraction spikes next
.... or adding more.....!!! ummmm diffractions spikes........

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 22, 2011, 18:10:43
at present I would have to laboriously do it one star at a time.
[/quote]

:o 

Well that will keep you busy..........................for a few millenniums ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Quote... or adding more.....!!! ummmm diffractions spikes........

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :o

sorry thought we were going to go down that old slippery slope again.

panic over.

JohnP