• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1396 widefield (work in progress) from Kelling

Started by RobertM, Apr 19, 2010, 20:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

A bit of background: IC1396 is a large area of emission nebulosity about 2,400 light years from earth in the constellation of Cepheus.  It contains the swirling dark nebula nicknamed the 'Elephants Trunk' to the right of center.  The bright star top center is Herchels 'Garnet' star, which is a red supergiant with a diameter larger than the orbit of Saturn.

I set this up right at the end of the last session so sub 6 onwards was really to too washed out due the dawn.  I think some of the subs had misshapen stars due to me bumping into the tripod a couple of times.

North is up East is left.
Scale is 5.76"/pixel.

Image capture details:
FLI ML8300 Camera + Canon 200L lens @ f3.2, Baader 2" 7nm Ha filter.  5 x 600s exposures unguided.

TFL

Link to the LARGE one: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/4535794798_2074653843_o.jpg

Rocket Pooch

Hello,

I see what you mean by the top right hand corner, more subs needed too.

Chris

MarkS

That's an excellent start.  You do have elongated stars top right but to get that kind of quality on a lens wide open at F3.2 is dead impressive.

IC1396 is already on my list to tackle this Summer!

Fay

Robert, I knew that one would be good. Unguided......sigh
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteI think some of the subs had misshapen stars due to me bumping into the tripod a couple of times

was it that dark or was it cause and effect of Marks weird french stuff? ;)

Nice image.

MarkS

We didn't drink a drop of weird French stuff.  I returned home with an unopened bottle.

Rick

You mean it has influence just by being in the area? That's seriously weird! ;)

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 20, 2010, 17:23:55
We didn't drink a drop of weird French stuff.  I returned home with an unopened bottle.

They cannot be Hardcore Astronomers up there. :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Quotewas it that dark or was it cause and effect of Marks weird french stuff?

If it had been the wierd french stuff then there might not have been an image ;)

QuoteThey cannot be Hardcore Astronomers up there.

Were you doing some 'Hardcore' stuff at the weekend then Tony?

Robert

Tony G

Quote from: RobertM on Apr 21, 2010, 11:09:32
Were you doing some 'Hardcore' stuff at the weekend then Tony?

Robert

Robert I was, as I was drinking some weird stuff, it just didn't happen to be French. :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson