• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Lots of problems here but might aswell post it B33 Horsehead nebula

Started by Daniel, Jan 22, 2009, 17:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Here's an image of the horsehead I took with the hyperstar last week, I didn't show it before because the flats i took with it made it unworkable (or just not worth the effort) that said, the new sky flats I took seem to have fixed that problem (except for that faint strip down the bottom) so I thought I'd process it a bit anyway.

It's far from great, the day I took it wasn't ideal and im still learning with this equipment, I think Ha imaging is the way to go, but anyway, here it is

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Daniel, If that's a 'far from great one' I can't wait to see a good one.... Looks pretty awesome from where I am sitting - it's a lovely FOV & you have really held back well on not saturating/ bloating Alnitak..

John

Carole

I think that's great, and as John says a good FOV and interesting to see a slightly different angle to the ones others have taken.

Carole

Fay

Daniel, great picture, how did you hold Alnitak back while not affaecting the rest of the image? What were exposure details?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

That's a wonderful image Daniel and you've done a really excellent processing job on it.  The way you've kept Alinitak in check and made it a feature rather than a pain is astonishing.  I'll have to book a PS lesson or start sending you my images to process ;)  It could do with more exposure but you've framed it really well and the FOV is just right.

Well done!!!

Daniel

Hi guy's thanks for the comments, there were a lot of gradients in this image that made me worry if I was capturing nebulosity, or just colouring light polution red. I'm afraid I can't take any credit for Alnitak, it just came out like that in the subs. It may be because of the extra dynamic range I got doing the subs at such a low ISO.

The FOV I got is one nice bonus when using the Hyperstar, because I have to flatten the field all the way across each time I use it, I don't have to try to put the object as dead center as I used to have to with the 120ED

Robert, I doubt there's much i could show you in photoshop, but I saw you mention teaching Fay about Maxim, i know very little about that program, so maybe we could all meet up some time and do a skills swap.

Daniel
:O)