• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC6888 The Crescent Nebula

Started by JohnH, Oct 27, 2022, 16:42:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

(Also known as the Dividing Cell Nebula)

Taken on 10th and 17th October - 2 hours 45 mins in total

Luminance Ha, Chrominance (Ha+R)GB. I also took L subframes but they suffered too much from a combination of cloud and dew to be used. I almost had to discard the Green subs for the same reason but they were just usable.

Telescope: Sharpstar 15028 HNT ( 418mm focal length f2.8 )
Mount: iOptron CEM 25P
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600M Pro at -15C
Control:ASIAir Pro
Processing: Pixinsight

The nebula is about 4,700 Ly distant. Visual Magnitude 7.4 and approximately 20 x 10 arcmins. It sits in the band of the Milky Way and so I have worked very hard to minimise the star-field.

The bright star bottom left is P Cygni, visual magnitude +4.78 and a very rare "blue variable" (not very blue in my image!) and is one of the brightest stars in the Milky Way. Not surprisingly therefore it is also one of the most distant stars visible to the naked eye.

I do quite like the Hydrogen clouds surrounding the nebula. The stars are a little less round than I would like. I am too impatient, I need to spend more time getting channel data!

This is my attempt to get back to imaging since I started with Long Covid which is even stopping me coming to meetings at the moment.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Roberto

Very nice John!  Lovely star colours.

Roberto

The Thing

Carole

Great result John and so glad to see you imaging again after your health issues, I hope seeing this image means you are finally starting to feel a little better.

Carole

JohnH

Thanks all. Just hope that I can keep getting better results.

I have now discovered how to allow for backlash on the focuser, this seems to make may stars about 10% smaller.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

I had forgotten about your dodgy stars issue.  Certainly looks a lot better. 

Carole