• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Moon 5 August 2018, Manche, France

Started by The Thing, Aug 29, 2018, 13:13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Bit of a test having just collimated my TS1506UNC Newt with a Concenter tool. Seems to have done the trick.

47x0.001s at Gain 120 (unity) +17c (no cooling on), Region of Interest size 1/2 centred (APT setting) this was on my HEQ5 mount set up outside the observatory. Hadn't used it in over a year and still works like a dream.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

NoelC

A very detailed image.
Is it my imagination or is there a little chromatic aberration on the top right of the limb?
Only noticeable as the cutoff is as clean as a razor on the other limb.

Very nice
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

Hi Noel and Fay,

This is the first time I've used PixInsight to align a 'planet' using FFTRegistration and post processing in PI as well. I have great problems retaining any colour with DeepSky or this image in PI, when I used ColourCalibration the image became virtually colourless. I think I should try again using AutoStakkert!3, my previous Moon (a crescent) came out really well but again, no colour. Not good for an OSC camera! The abberation may something to do with the TS KomaKorr being at the wrong distance due to the introduction of a Baader Neodymnium filter (now moved)  and also the focuser barrel needing adjustment. I was out last night before moonrise and verified that I have everything at the right distance, square and the collimation pretty much spot on (using a Concenter tool) I now get lovely stars corner to corner.

NoelC

Can't comment on PI, but sympathise!
It's a good image, but would have thought it's pretty much the hardest target to show colour.
What's a Concenter tool?

Keep up the good work.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

A Concenter tool is a sort Cheshire eyepiece thing for collimating Newtonian telescopes. Works very well. The moon has all sorts of colour if you push the saturation and get the contrast just right, Mark S did a great colourful moon a while back.