• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon - First Time at Stacking

Started by RachelC, Sep 19, 2016, 23:32:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RachelC

Hi y'all

Ok, here is my first go at stacking the moon (which btw, I didn't even know you could do).

With Carole's help, we used the seven images I had taken on the 14th September.

I have over sharpened (which is another thing I overdo).

I can definitely see more detail this time and when I get a chance I will have another go.

Constructive criticism and advice welcomed but be gentle ;-)

Many thanks
Rachel

Mike

Can we have a link to the full sized file please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RachelC

Er, how do I do that?
The image itself isn't much bigger. All I have done is cropped it.

JohnP

Mike - that looks like a full size crop 250mm lens dslr. For moon with dslr you need 600mm plus for decent size.

Rachel - definitely more detail than showing than previous images - to get high res moon images focal length is definitely the way to go however, the longer you go the more tricky focus & vibration etc. become.

John

Mike

Quote from: RachelC on Sep 20, 2016, 00:56:49
Er, how do I do that?
The image itself isn't much bigger. All I have done is cropped it.

Ahh that is why the detail seems lacking. As John says you will need a decent focal length for the moon or use a telescope. What lens did you use? (btw - when posting images always include a FULL list of equipment, software, number of shots, settings, etc.)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I should add that we had to stack the Moon manually in Photoshop as Registax just kept crashing/freezing, but I thought that that would be a good exercise for Rachel as it gave her practice on a number of Photoshop tools -  in particular layers.

Yes I agree taking a shot of the Moon just with a camera lens is not going to produce as good a result as using a telescope.  When you use your ST80 Rachel it will be easier to get better detail and focus.  But never the less you have done well to get what you have with a lens.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Sep 20, 2016, 10:07:07
When you use your ST80 Rachel it will be easier to get better detail and focus.  But never the less you have done well to get what you have with a lens.

Oh indeed. much better than my first efforts. Here is my very first moon image I took back in 2001 using a Security CCTV camera:

RachelC

Hi again

Mike - Yes, as I am only using a dslr and lens (250mm) I am pretty happy with my slow but sure improvements. Unfortunately I can't guarantee that I will ALWAYS remember to include a FULL list of equipment, software, number of shots, settings, etc. but will do my best.

John - Thanks, there is more details isn't there? My first go at stacking the moon! Yeah, I have noticed the difference in the vibration with the different focal lengths.
600mm lens... wow!

Carole - It was a very good exercise for me thank you. Layers are very interesting lol. It will be fun to start using my baby scope. And I am looking forward to getting closer to the moon :-) Thank you - I think I have improved over time and done well with the lens. But I will definitely have a go at finer focus.

See you soon
Rachel

Kenny

Quote from: Carole on Sep 20, 2016, 10:07:07
I should add that we had to stack the Moon manually in Photoshop as Registax just kept crashing/freezing.

Carole - how did you do that, specifically the rotational alignment?

Rachel - Personally I think the photo is a bit over-exposed, something you can easily fix in Photoshop or Lightroom,and maybe more detail will be visible if you address that. However I have been criticised in the past for making my photos too dark so maybe a second opinion on the exposure.

Carole

QuotePersonally I think the photo is a bit over-exposed, something you can easily fix in PhotoshopPersonally I think the photo is a bit over-exposed, something you can easily fix in Photoshop
Actually I think Kenny is right, I just took the image into Photoshop and adjusted the contrast and made the "seas" darker, and it does make quite a bit of difference, give it a go Rachel.

QuoteCarole - how did you do that, specifically the rotational alignment?
I didn't do anything about the rotation as I presumed Rachel had taken the images quite close together.

It was a method I discovered about 18 months ago when I wanted to stacked my comet Lovejoy and DSS Comet mode wouldn't play ball, so I scoured the internet and finally found a method.

You combine images 2 at a time in layers in Photoshop. Reduce the top layer to 50% and slide the top layer until it is in exactly the right position and then flatten the image.  (Thus the top layer adds 50% each time).

Then when you have done a few you get for instance A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H  (where A & B subs have been combined and C & D etc).
So you then stack AB/CD, EF/GH and then finally ABCD/EFGH to get a final image thus combining 8 images into one.
Hope that makes sense.

Carole

Kenny

Why not just blend them all as layers?

That's quite a heavy process if you take more than 5-10 snaps.

Carole

Provided you use the same process I guess that would work.
Generally this method only needs to be resorted to if software fails.

Carole