• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CERN visit

Started by Kenny, Oct 26, 2012, 20:56:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Just been looking into this visit on 6th May. Looks like EasyJet flights are £50-90 return including taxes depending on which days and times you arrive /leave. Last night I heard its possible to stay at the CERN hostel the night before and night after the visit but I can't find any pricing details on the website. Does anyone know rough costs?

I thought it might me interesting to arrive early Sun morning, leave late Tue night and hire a car to do some sightseeing while we're not on the tour? Anyone else interested?

Rocket Pooch

Roy

Sorry that I missed your post from last month Kenny.You may find this link useful  http://www.particlephysics.ac.uk/teach/visits/cernguide.html It is written with school parties in mind but also relevant for our visit. Public transport plentiful,frequent and  relatively cheap and day tickets allow you to use road, rail and boat. I will try to bring more information in form of handouts to Thursday's meeting to help with planning the visit. I will also investigate parking arrangements within Cern site if we end up staying at the hostel.

Sue

Mike

That's why we are able to visit. We wouldn't be able to get near it if it was powered up.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

It was quite easy in 'Angels and Demons'  :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan