• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gamepad gone bananas

Started by Carole, Jun 26, 2012, 07:22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As you know I managed to get EQMod working recently and bought a wireless gamepad to be able to do alignment at the finderscope (it was a bit out so alignment star not seen on screen). 
It was a bit temperamental the first time I used it, but when I did the cocoon it went completely weird.

It responds OK when I use it, but seems to be uncontrollable as regards when it stops slewing and possibly even which direction it goes in, so I put the gamepad down and meanwhile the mount is still stopping and starting slewing (where I didn't want it to go) and all without me touching the game pad.  Only way I could stop it was to switch the gamepad off.  Ended up having to abandon EQMod and going back to the handset as there was no way I could get the alignment star close enough without.

Some-one has suggested this is some sort of wireless interference outside of my control.  (Nothing else wireless in my set up).  However I did have the internet running with TPLink which some of you have suggested would upset radio hams. 

Does any-one have any thoughts on this.  If I can't cure it I am going to try using a mouse on an extension lead which I know some-one else uses.

I wish now I had bought a cabled gamepad.

Carole

The Thing

The only time this happens to me is when the AAA batteries are low. If yours is USB re-chargable, if so you may need to charge it regularly even when not using it.

Carole

I did re-charge it Duncan, but not immediately beforehand though it was not more than a week before fully charged.  However I will give that a try, thanks. 

So it seems I am not alone in this experience then, feels quite bizarre at the time.

Carole

Fay

I had these problems, but when the gamepad did not respond straight away. being that I am impatient. I would press the gamepad a few more times. so I assumed that all my instructions caught up with it & it went haywire!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

That's possibly another thought as well.  I must try again. 

Carole

Carole

Just going back to this thread.  I sent my gamepad back and now use a mouse on an extension lead - no problems with slewing to alignment star at the finderscope, except "where to put the mouse down on a surface". 

Just been reading a thread on Astronomy Shed where some-one has the same problem with a "runaway" game pad, and quite a lot of people have replied that they have had the same problem.  So I am glad it is not just me. 
There was also a couple of useful suggestions in the thread which are better than a mouse, USB keypad & USB numberpad, which are very cheap, so might be getting one of those.

Carole

Mac

Quote"where to put the mouse down on a surface". 

easy, turn it upside down and use it as a trackball.
:cheesy:

Mac

Carole

Oh! Didn't realise you could do that Mac, will give it a try.

Carole