• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

society christmas dinner - February 2012

Started by Ian, Oct 19, 2011, 19:50:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We had better keep an eye on the weather. Apparently it is going to snow overnight. If it is anything like last year we won't be able to get up to the pub again.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

So if it snows, how will we know whether or not we are going??????????

Is someone going to phone us all...... he asked?  :o

Or.........................

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

PhilB

It's those weather gods again - ANYTHING astronomical sends 'em into a spin :boom:

Christmas dinner in August, anyone?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Ian

I'll give Blacksmiths a call in the morning, see what the damage is. It doesn't look too bad outside so far this evening (famous last words)

Mike

Doesn't look too bad out this morning either. A light dusting on everything but it doesn't appear to have stuck to the road surfaces in my street. It may be different near the pub though.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Yeah.... not too bad here.  Keep our fingers crossed.......
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Thanks to the organisers for another enjoyable night.

For those of you that were wondering what the temperature was on the way back, it touched -10ยบ C

The Thing

-8.7c in my back garden at 07:30 (Beckenham). Froze my focuser it did! Blooming brass monkey's are out in force.

MarkS

Last night was -9.5C in my back garden which is the lowest temperature attained all week.  The maximum day time temperature for the whole week has been +1C.

Mark

Delphine

Glad you verified the temperature from last night Mike.  Ian thought the temperature guage on our new car was malfunctioning!!

Delphine

Rick

My car's thermometer was saying -6C as I came home from Gravesend around midnight last night. Well, that's the lowest I noticed...

Tony G

This was taken this morning on the the M26 about 7.30am.
I'm glad the boiler is working now at home. :cheesy:

Tony G

PS........Ignore the airbag warning light.........the problem is on the passengers side. :lol:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson