• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Backyardeos & serial to usb

Started by Fay, Sep 27, 2011, 10:42:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Backyardeos seems auch a good little program. Mark & myself could not get it working, on bulb, with a serial to usb cable. Mailed the chap who wrote it, answer below. Still not sure how to get it going.

----------------------------------

Fay,

A DSUSB (or DSUSB2) from Shoestring Astronomy.

In terms or regular serial cables, I have also tested with Hap Griffin's serial cables.

I've seen users using home-made serial cables as well.  I don't do much with the cable per say, simply opening/closing the COM port will open/close the shutter.

Hope this helps,

Thank you for your support and interest,

Guylain
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

:o
I don't think he knows how to get it going either.

Were you and Mark using different serial/USB adapters, I seem to remember some astro programs not liking your adapter.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mark has just mailed me, saying that support seems to be added in a later version. He is going to try it out.

We were probably using different makes of serial/usb. I got mine from astronomiser, cannot remember having the problems.

mickw

It seems to have the same functions as the early version of APT (which was much more user friendly)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Fay,

Version 1.2.0 works with the USB/Serial adaptor on my EOS 350D.  In the "Capture Plan Center" you'll need to set the "Cable Support" drop down to your particular COM port.

You can then set durations of longer than 30sec

Mark

MarkS

There's one feature that BackyardEOS lacks - I can't scale the histogram of the displayed images.  Since I usually image very faint objects, scaling the histogram is often the only way to see it above the background light pollution.  In addition I need to be able to run my cursor over the image and see the pixel values - this way I can check for clipping of highlights.

So I'll be sticking to Nebulosity for the time being, which is a shame because BYE looks like an excellent piece of software.

Fay

Oh thanks Mark. I will get it, as only cheap, & see what I think

Fay

Got Backyard Eos working with the 350D today. Did not work at first, so not sure what I did right!