• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Annual Geminids meteor shower lights up night sky

Started by Rick, Dec 13, 2009, 22:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Skywatchers in the northern hemisphere have turned their heads upwards to see the annual Geminids meteor shower.

The shower is especially easy to see this year because it is nearly the new Moon, meaning there is less moonlight to obscure it.

The meteors could be seen streaking across the night sky from 2000 GMT; expecting to peak after 2200.

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8410702.stm

Mike

Where the heck were these people located to see these meteors? I stood outside for quite a while yesterday and didn't see a darned thing.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Stuck my head outside at about 10.20pm & was suprised to see clear skies. Looked for about 2mins & saw 2 meteor's. Too cold & too intoxicated to stay out any longer..... :-(

John

Carole

I've always found meteor showers disappointing, even in COAA in dark(ish) clear skies, on 12th August we saw very few.

Would be nice to see a good one.

Carole

Simon E

I saw hundreds last night. Or was it the effects of the beer i was drinking hic hic :o

No only saw one, when I was walking the dog.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras