• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Taking a collection of darks

Started by Carole, Nov 18, 2009, 22:35:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I decided as it wasn't possible to do any proper imaging at the moment (very frustrating having now finally acquired all my guiding kit), that clouds and a bit of wind would not matter for doing darks.  So have decided to start up a darks library on these sort of nights.

Just checking I am doing things correctly.

I am taking a whole load of darks at 2 mins at 13 degrees C to be used in the future if I do 2 minute images at the same temperature.  Thought I'd store them on CDs until they are needed.  I will do the same on other cloudy evenings collecting those of a given temperature and length.

Hopefully I can then just dig out the darks (provided I am using the same camera), relevant to length and temperature as and when needed.

Does this sound like a good plan?
or have I missed something?

Carole

Mac

Sounds like a good idea.

I'd also change the lengths of darks as well.

say, 1min 2min 3min 4min 5min.

thats assuming that you will actually do a 5 min sub,

If you are going to take upto 3 mins, then take 3 mins as well.

Depending on the software you are using
You might find that you can completely automate the whole process, so just set it up and take a complete set from 30 secs upto 5 mins in 30 second steps.

Mac.

Carole

Thanks Mac.

Yes, was planning to do different lengths subs another cloudy evening.
I did just over 2 1/2 hours of 2 min darks last night.

I thought I would start with the length subs I am likely to use to start with and then do longer ones as I progress and find the need.

Carole