• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Campsite Plug

Started by Tony G, Oct 27, 2009, 22:32:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Just a quick question regarding wiring a blue campsite plug.
I know where the earth goes, but does it matter which way round the live and neutral go, and if so which terminal do they go to.

Tony G
(Carpenter by trade, who knows not to much about electrics, and has burns and memories to prove it)  :-?
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

QuoteI know where the earth goes, but does it matter which way round the live and neutral go, and if so which terminal do they go to.

er yup,

If you look closely at the blue plug you should see a little L and a little N. ;)

If you get them the wrong way round, your equipment will work,
but your fuses will now be in the neutral leg.

Should there be a fault condition,
the fuse in the N will blow, and your equipment will still be live and will kill you!! :boom:

Tony G

Mac,

The plug I purchased hasn't any markings on it, hence the question.
(give me some credit with the little letters please) :roll: ;)
If the plug had these markings I would know what to do, but it hasn't so I don't want to get them mixed up, so if someone was to take a photo of a plug opened up, it would give me some idea. :oops:

Thanks

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

Tony follow the fuse mate... if it's not fused, anywhere, then it doesn't matter.

mickw

Ere ya go

or

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-70164-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

The picture shows the holes in a socket which corresponds to the position of the connections in the back of the plug as you look at them.

I'll get mine out of the motor tomorrow morning and take a snap
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Mick,

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. Now I hope that new chair I bought Flis for camping works. :boom: :twisted:

Tony G

mickw

The real thing - and no little letters  :o

Ian

did you check the other side for little letters?

Or dirty great big ones...

mickw

Yep, bugger all letters anywhere.

Probably made for the Eastern Europeans that can't read english anyway  :lol:

Mike

Eastern Europeans can't read letters?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Mick,

Its lucky that you sent that photo in, because as I was looking at it I was saying to myself that your live and neutral were around the wrong way, until I re-read your previous comment and realised it was the female plug on the illustration and it wasn't showing the plug pins.
Hopefully now the chair will work now, without causing me any injury.  ;)

Tony G