• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Diffraction spikes, merged...

Started by RobertM, Oct 15, 2009, 18:47:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

The conversation's going round in circles. We've had it before. It was accrimonious then. It's turning accrimonious now. Time to stop.

Fay

Rick, my query is a genuine one, only when going into that post I get the following options in this order: Notify, Mark Unread, Print
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Rick think your out of order saying your piece & then closing the discussion... can't really see the point in contributing to forum discussions if I can't have my say....!!!!!

Cya - John

JohnP

Quoteaccrimonious
..... ?

Mike

I have to say I agree. We should be free to say what we want even if some of us don't like it. As long as what is being said is not abusive.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mike, i was about to say, how expensive the new star spike program was by Carboni, but could not get REPLY up for this post
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

you could always cut and paste in to this thread and carry it on from there.
or restart a new one.

Rick

Quote from: Fay on Oct 16, 2009, 17:16:20Rick, my query is a genuine one, only when going into that post I get the following options in this order: Notify, Mark Unread, Print
The diffraction spikes thread is locked. If you have a query about something else you're welcome to start a new thread.
Quote from: JohnP on Oct 16, 2009, 20:11:32
Rick think your out of order saying your piece & then closing the discussion... can't really see the point in contributing to forum discussions if I can't have my say....!!!!!
We've had the discussion before. You're raising a technical argument against something I see as a moral integrity issue. I can't see any point continuing the discussion, but if you really want to have a last word added, please PM it to Ian or me...

Ian

Right, I've had a think about this, and this is what I'm going to do.

This topic will be unlocked tomorrow at 9am, for 24 hours only. Anyone is then welcome to post one reply stating their final and binding position on diffraction spikes. Multiple posts by the same person will be deleted, as will anything that is not regarding your personal views on diffraction spikes.

The topic will then be locked and stickied so the next time anyone wants to discuss diffraction spikes, all we need do is look up their views stated here.

It's either that or I introduce a naughty step.

For the record, I don't give a toss about diffraction spikes.

mickw

I think the choice to add diffraction spikes should be left to the individual that produced the image, and not a rule imposed by somebodys moral code.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteI think the choice to add diffraction spikes should be left to the individual that produced the image, and not a rule imposed by somebodys moral code.
Yes I'd agree with that.

Personally I like diffraction spikes but only if they are not put on afterwards artificially. 
Therefore my opinion is:
BRING OUT THE BEST OF WHAT YOU HAVE CAPTURED, SO LONG AS NOTHING ARTIFICIAL IS ADDED.
Having said that though, John's M45 is fabulous to my eye, spikes and all. 

Carole