• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Aurora 10-Oct-2024

Started by MarkS, Oct 11, 2024, 02:36:52

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

A couple of images I took at Reculver around midnight when the auroral display suddenly intensified.

Mark

Rick

Great! We caught a bit of that through patchy cloud. I think my meteor cameras should have some timelapse video as the skies did clear later...

Carole

Great shots Mark, my goodness my Imaging presentation is going to be full to bursting with aurora this month. 

I managed to get a shot from my road even at Bortle 8 even with the street lights last night, which I will post up later.

MarkS

I've been comparing my images to some that show vivid colours and asking myself why my reds were not very intense.  I now realise why.  Those shots were taken when the aurora was at its most intense and more or less filled the sky from horizon to directly above.  So the red is a mixture of the intense red and the green.  Compare with this one, where I've captured the top of the red:

I've also tried to present the images as I perceived them at the time - with fairly dark adapted vision.  If I had paid thousands to go and see this in Iceland, I'd have come home quite happy :)

Rick

Also, there was a lot of variation in the intensity over quite short intervals. We got a brief moment when the clouds were lit almost like a sunset...

Roberto