• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC4151, 4145 and many small galaxies in Canes Venatici - wide field

Started by Roberto, Feb 15, 2022, 11:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

Whilst the weather held and the Moon was down I managed to finish this shot of NGC4151 and some companions in Canes Venatici. Some people call NGC4151 The Eye of Sauron and I have posted a link to a proper image of this object in my Astrobin page for those interested.

Details of the shot here:  https://www.astrobin.com/y3unj0/D/

This was taken through my usual tandem setup, 16hrs in total:  9hrs of L and 7hrs of RGB/OSC.

NGC4151, a mere 52 million ly away, is a prime exponent of a Seyfert galaxy with a massive black hole at its centre.  Hubble looked at it back in 1997:  https://hubblesite.org/contents/news-releases/1997/news-1997-18.html

Roberto

See the annotated image here for the numerous PGC galaxies peppering the background:

Carole

garrick

RobertM

Lovely processing as usual and a great image.  I really like the way you process the background, it seems to bring out the best in the details.

Robert

Roberto

Thank you All.

Robert, the background may actually be "too flat" because I had to construct a synthetic flat and apply it after calibration. There were high clouds and the usual London LP combined for quite a few of the shot and the masters to end with heavy gradients.

Roberto

garrick

Nice round stars that are not saturated at 300' and 600' (had a look at your Astrobin data). Brilliant. Have you tried the normalize scale gradient script on PI to deal with the gradients. Seems to be working well.

CS

G

Roberto

Hi Garrick

Thank you.  Yes, I've been using NSG since it launched in 2020.  John Murphy is a top guy.  This routine before integrating the masters is a must for light polluted skies like ours.

Roberto