• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A quick intro

Started by ChrisR, Jan 23, 2022, 19:46:47

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisR

I enjoyed meeting a few members at Otford last week and look forward to getting to know more of you.

I decided to stop waiting for a good time to get back into astronomy last October, though you might say when is it not a good time? After a little research I bought a used Skymax 127 and Allview mount and was up and running in November. I quickly re-discovered what it was I always enjoyed about astronomy and over the last few months have added somewhat to my equipment. There has also been a quite a lot of time spent watching youtube videos too, let's say the changes since the early 80's have been significant.

I am planning to stick with visual observation for now, though EAA interests me and I expect I'll try that out eventually. I currently work in IT, my background includes IR optics and metrology so I have a strong interest in the technical and scientific aspects of astronomy, but not to the detriment of enjoying the skies I hope.

ApophisAstros

Welcome to the Society Chris ,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Welcome Chris, sounds like you have a good background to make the most of Astronomy. 

Quotelet's say the changes since the early 80's have been significant.
I'll bet.

Hope to see you at an OAS meeting once we get back to Face to Face ones.

Carole

doug

Nice to meet up with you, Chris. Hope you had a good evening.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

RafalK

Hello Chris, I'm also a visual observer and it seems like you might have several interests similar to mine: Arduino electronics, mechanical and electronic DIY, a little bit of IT. I worked for couple of years for the Polish Metoffice as my first job after graduation and brushed against metrology too (in meteorological and hydrological applications).

ChrisR

Quote from: RafalK on Jan 25, 2022, 13:08:49
Hello Chris, I'm also a visual observer and it seems like you might have several interests similar to mine: Arduino electronics, mechanical and electronic DIY, a little bit of IT. I worked for couple of years for the Polish Metoffice as my first job after graduation and brushed against metrology too (in meteorological and hydrological applications).

Mechanical projects so far are

Done - Make a set of tripod leg extensions out of 42mm SS exhaust tubing, it slides nicely over 1.5" tube with a little adhesive felt to take out the slack.

In progress -  Plan to try using a screw in reticule holder to mount a small area of filter to see if it can be used to occult the bright primary of a double star to help see the fainter companion/s. Specifically thinking of Rigel and Sirius here. I'm exchanging emails with another astronomer who is trying out gluing a flat wire at the focal plane of a spare eyepiece as an alternate method.

In progress - There is close to an 800g difference between some of my eyepiece weights and with my Allview mount this caused an issue because I'm right at the limit of the mount capacity anyway. As it happens I aquired an AZ-EQ5 at the weekend so it may not matter, however I am planning to add a rail and adjustable weight mount to see if I can use that to maintain a better balance. I have noticed that a heavy 2" eyepiece in a diagonal already puts the COG noticeably off the dec and tube axis as well.