• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Quick Introduction

Started by garrick, Aug 27, 2021, 08:31:25

Previous topic - Next topic

garrick

Good morning everyone,

I started Astrophotography about a year and a half ago and already it has become an obsession. Unfortunately my wallet has paid the price for this, and I have gone down the rabbit hole of equipment purchases without realising it.

Stay safe and clear skies,

Garrick (GW)

Carole

Welcome to the Forum.  We know all about that rabbit hole.

Carole

Mac

Greetings Garrick.

Welcome to the dark side of imaging........

What a rabbit hole to enter, the only problem with that is there is no light at the end of that tunnel.
The only good thing is there is always a healthy market of people behind you falling in to that said hole, so when  ;) ( not if ) you want to upgrade
you will always be able to find people who would buy your equipment.

Mac.

Carole

What Mac Says is true, there is a good market for 2nd hand equipment in Astronomy, I have bought new and sold as second hand and also bought second hand. 

I have been imaging since 2008 and am still buying and selling.

Carole 

Carole

Garrick just found your excellent Cygnus region image on the Gallery, do post it up on here (Astrophotography forum) so we can all enjoy it and comment.  Don't forget to add your equipment used, length of exposures, total exposure time, whether it is a single image or a Mosaic, how many nights capture etc etc.

Carole

garrick

Thank you Mac and Carole for such a warm welcome. Hopefully, we will get to meet at one of the future meetings.

Great information regarding the second-hand market. Something I will need to consider, as I bought equipment a year ago that I may never use. I've also lost count of the number of adapters I have now (I went through an obsessive phase of trying to sort out my back focus).  :lol:

Thank you for suggesting placing my images in the forums, Carole. I will try and do that later today.

Best wishes, stay safe and clear skies,

G

Carole

If you have any thin T2 spacers I am still struggling to get my spacing right as have gone back to my old scopes and "somehow" the spacers I used before cannot be found!!!!

Most of us sell on UKAstrobuysell.  You do get the occasional scammer on there but the website owners are pretty vigilant, and if you only sell to UK people, especially if they are members of an Astro forum you should be pretty secure.

Yes, please come and introduce yourself at a future meeting.  Mac lives in Spain now so unlikely to be there.  I am on the committee and apparently we are being issued with lanyards to make ourselves identifiable, though I have not received mine as yet. 

Carole 

Mac

QuoteHopefully, we will get to meet at one of the future meetings.

There is a slim possibility although I currently reside in Spain.......

Once all this Covid lark is over, I might start returning............
Its been a while.

Im trying to make the 40th anniversary but need to check my dairy.

Mac.