• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Like button on forum posts?

Started by Mac, Mar 11, 2021, 12:14:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Just a thought.
I think its time that we have a like button on the forum,
There are so many posts on here which could do with one, images for a start.

Found this.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3708

Mac.

Carole

Yes I'd like that too. 

Carole

Mac

QuoteYes I'd like that too.

See we needed a like button for that, ;-)

Carole

The Thing

RobertM

To me it seems like a pointless exercise - discouraging people from making comments and encouraging a 'buddie' culture.  I guess this is the way of the world these days... something is either 'liked' or implicitly not 'liked' (because it has not been liked) or is there to be a 'dislike' as well ?  Would someone feel offended if a post was either not 'liked' or 'disliked' ?  Would then the Image of the month be based on the number of 'likes' ?

Personally I am not in favour but I understand a majority of members could be.

Robert

Carole

Sometimes you simply like an image or agree with a comment but don't necessarily need to say anything about it.

I do agree it leads to less comments of course.

Carole

Rick

I find that simple click-to-react options are occasionally useful, but they really need to be a bit more sophisticated than just "Like". The main problem with a simple "like" (or, worse, a simple "thumbs up/down") is that some folk take things literally, and in many contexts that can be bad.

Hugh

I've just caught up with this thread and I must agree with RobertM on this idea.

I think we should encourage comment on any posting and where better than the forum to do so.  For instance, images are great but commenting from members not imagers is as important as those from imagers.  I have for a while asked imagers to put more info about the object on the threads other than just the tech details on the taking and the processing, so that non-imagers can enjoy the where in the sky the object is and at what distance (for instance).

Roberto does this sometimes and Carole has positively taken my comments forward in the imaging report she gives at society meetings where this information is often shown.  For me, this enhances both the interest and the underlying skill of the imager.

- Hugh :D

ApophisAstros

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

I think just clicking [Like] is a cop-out, surely people can type the word "Like" if nothing else!

Quote from: Hugh on May 05, 2022, 18:34:38
  I have for a while asked imagers to put more info about the object on the threads other than just the tech details on the taking and the processing, so that non-imagers can enjoy the where in the sky the object is and at what distance (for instance).

- Hugh :D

I like this idea, I 'll try to remember to do it. Maybe a link to Wikipedia for the object would be good thing to do.

Carole

That's why l started doing sky maps for lesser known targets for members images.
Carole

Hugh

I like the idea of a link to Wicki on the object.  Would cut down on word space/time for the imager and give anyone the chance to review Wicki at leisure.

- Hugh  :D

Update - Just viewed the M101 post and the Wicki link - worked well - Thanks :D

ApophisAstros

Wiki can be changed by anyone so not really trustworthy.Unless they have stopped it , better for the imager to include pertinant information. Also any link would take you away from the image and the forum.
Perhaps suggest points to include ie Image , filters , integration , equipment , distance , type of target , et al.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

Hi Roger

I see the points you raise in your post, and would happily accept your alternative suggestions.

I'm not totally convinced that having a Wicki link which took you away from the Forum is bad - it could be argued that, for non-imagers, it enhances the information; then being informed you come back to the Forum to enjoy the image the more.  That's certainly the way I would use it.

Whichever way forward, I grateful if the imagers take my comments as a positive way to enhance the non-imagers enjoyment without taking away the value of the image techy stuff also available.

- Hugh  :D