• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar System Picnic &&|| Walk - Saturday 16th August

Started by Mike, Aug 10, 2014, 10:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Solar System Picnic   <- This is a link, click it

Saturday August 16th, 2014
Time: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm
Place: Otford Solar System Model      <- This is a link, click it

You are invited to join us for a walk around the Solar System Model at Otford followed by a picnic (bring your own!). If you wish to walk to 'Pluto' and around the other 'planets', please meet at the Recreation Ground car park in Otford at 11:00 am.

If you want to attend the picnic but don't want to do the walk then arrive at about 12:30 pm for a picnic near the 'Sun'!

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

For those who are so inclined and if you can go the full distance to Pluto, there is a beer festival at the Rising Sun pub at twitton a short distance from Pluto. There will be 12 real ales and  3 ciders, one of the ciders made with apples from my garden. Hopefully I can join for the walk and the beer. :D

Mac

QuoteFor those who are so inclined and if you can go the full distance to Pluto

Forgive me if im wrong, but that's not the full distance.  ;)

Im sure Carole said in one of her talks that Sirius is part of that model and located in sydney,
Not to mention, Proxima Centauri in Los angeles,
& Barnards star in the falklands.

So its going to be a long walk for the full tour,  :cheesy:

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/2009/allan-visits-the-centre-of-the-biggest-model-on-earth-at-otford-uk/

Mac.

Carole

Yes that's right.  But we know what you mean Mike.  :cheesy:

Carole

Mike

The full distance OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM !!   :roll:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

BTW the event will still go ahead of the weather is not conducive for a walk or picnic.

Plan B is we convene in The Bull, opposite the car park, and have a pub lunch instead (or just eat your picnic in the beer garden).

MarkH

Mike I live only minutes away so I'm happy to skip the picnic, but happy to join in for the pub lunch and do the walk ( with a broken toe )  . What time will you set off on the walk?

Mike

Hopefully we won't need to revert to Plan B. The weather forecast is looking pretty reasonable at the moment.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Something like that. It's not particularly far but depends on the ground conditions. Last time we had to make a longer detour as the main path was flooded. Hopefully not this time.

Mike

The weather for tomorrow is looking good so I think we are go for the picnic and/or walk.

If you want to do the walk then meet up in the recreation ground car park at 11:00am and wel will then walk to The Sun and make our spiral route out to tiny Pluto.

The ground might be soft and muddy so I recommend you bring a change of shoes and either gators or a change of trousers as you might get dirty.

If you don't want to do the walk but want to join us for the picnic then meet up near to The Sun at the rear of the field at 12:30 and don't forget to bring your food, drink and somewhere to sit.

See you tomorrow.

Mike

Mike

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Kenny

Mike

Thanks to every one that turned up. We had great weather and a really nice afternoon. The impromptu drinks in the pub afterwards were also good.

:)