• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

How do you put on an animated gif file Avatar?

Started by Carole, Nov 02, 2010, 11:28:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The Avatar I currently have on is animated but just comes up as a stationary image.

Carole

Tony G

Speak to Mike or Mac, as I'm sure this was one of their Avatar's at one point, and they had the animated one.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Personally, I'd prefer you didn't*. If you must, you'll have to make sure the image you upload is 80x80 or smaller, or the forum software will re-size it and destroy the animation in the process.

* In general, avatars should be small files, and animations often aren't. They also sometimes slow down page displays, and some are just plain irritating to watch even for as long as it takes a page to load.

Mike

It must be less than 80x80 before it is uploaded otherwise it won't work.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Aye i did indeed have the animated one.
In fact i might still have it.

Carole

Thanks.  I didn't realised this was one Mac had used before, will change it.

Carole

Mac

QuoteThanks.  I didn't realised this was one Mac had used before, will change it.

Hmmmm why, there's nothing stopping you using it.

I always thought it looked quite good actually,

Mac.

Carole

Well just that I always think an Avatar should be personal to that person. 

Carole

Rick

Quote from: Mac on Nov 02, 2010, 23:40:41
I always thought it looked quite good actually,

I first saw that spinning globe over a decade ago. It's had lots of time to get old. I find animated avatars tend to decay through stages something like this:

"Oh! That's cool!" --> "Ok. It's boring now." --> "Ugh. That's getting irritating." --> "Argh! Make it stop!"

...and I've seen a few particularly dire examples which skip the earlier stages of the decay path.