• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

X-prize contender rocket explodes

Started by Mike, Aug 10, 2004, 06:16:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Hmmm... That looks like a big firework... Came down with a bit of a bump, too.

Ian

I hope they have a long hard think before strapping any real people into it...

Mike

Its only 38 inches in diameter - Would YOU climb in it?? Madness !!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

How were they planning on fitting three people inside? Sounds like a rather tight fit, like sardines in a can, assuming there is a hull to maintain pressure....

Ian

I wonder if the atmospheric pressure inside the rocket would be less than the pressure exerted by the bodies given they'll probably have to assist them getting in with a steam press...

Rick

Hmmm... I've heard of some of the earlier space capsules being likened to tin cans, but I think that might be taking it a bit too far. :wink:

Then again, I remember a certain student fireworks party during which we made a valiant effort to fire a tin can into orbit. Baked beans or astronauts... :wink: