• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Witch's Broom 23-6-11

Started by Carole, Jun 23, 2011, 15:20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Did 50 minutes of this at 2 - 2.45am this morning (after I finished doing the NA Nebula stage2)

Wasn't going to post it until I had got some more data, but as it doesn't look too bad, thought I'd post is as a preliminary image.

10 x 5mins  800 ISO Modified Canon 450D + d,f,b
ED80 - Guided on NEQ6
DSS and PS CS3
About 7/8 of the full frame.

Mike

Looks a tad out of focus to me, but apart from that it is looking good so far.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Do you think so Mike, it was spot on when I did it with the Bahtinov, however this was 2 hours later and I should have re-checked it, but as it was really an experiment so see how it would come out with the ED80, I wasn't expecting to produce a final image.

Carole

MarkS

Hi Carole,

It shows good potential.  A dark sky would make a big difference (as always!).

Did you use a filter?  I'm guessing you used a CLS.

Mark

Carole

Oh yes, Mark used the CLS filter.

Yes it was just an experiment really, wasn't sure how big it would come out in the FOV and also whether it would be worth imaging after my experiences with galaxies and light pollution, so hadn't really intended to "image" the object as such, but as it turned out to be a reasonable size, visible on the first sub and bang in the middle I decided to stop up even later and get a few more. 

Carole

Carole

OK, I got another 11 x 5mins with the ED120 (which was on for doing the Crescent), stacked (with a bit of difficulty) in DSS.

Total now 21 x 5mins 800 ISO (10 with ED80 and 11 with ED120)
Not sure this is an improvement though.  Have made this one more wide field to include a bit more of the Veil.

Carole