• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Painfully SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Started by Mac, Jan 24, 2009, 20:15:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Had to put another message on..........the whole web is so fast today, everywhere is immediate.  I have never moved around it at such speed!!! Why is that???
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

everyone else is doing something more worthwhile now...

Sounds like it was your ISP yesterday Fay.

Fay

I have been unbelievably slow for a couple of weeks , Ian
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

Over the weekend it was awful; I wanted to show somebody some of the images on the Gallery, but I gave up.  I began to think it was the laptop and I needed a new one, but obviously it`s the server on the forum.  Huh!!!!!!!!! :(
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Ian

Fay, it was either a slow server for us, or a slow ISP. I tend to use the BBC website for independent performance testing as it's a very heavy duty website and unless there's a major incident (say the London bombings) it works faultlessly. If that site is slow, then my ISP gets the blame.

That said, the host we're with at the moment doesn't seem to be able to identify and throttle back resource hogs in their shared infrastructure and that's a reason why there's a good chance we'll be moving again. However, on the most part, the service we've had from Powweb has been acceptable.

Doug, just a note, slow internet is pretty much never a reason to upgrade your PC. Even a PC made 12 years ago could keep up with running a browser. :)

Mike

I have to say most of the time it has been OK for me recently. Over the weekend it was a bit sluggish but it was no big deal the pages loaded eventually.

I agree though that a change in server provider is needed.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I've shifted the discussion about alternative providers into "Behind The Scenes", but please feel free to continue reporting response-time issues here.

Rick

This afternoon's non-performance has been reported to PowWeb... but it took a while, because...

Apparently they're trying to fix "an issue with our network servers".

Ian

another no-sh1t-sherlock response from them then...

Mac

is it me or has today been slow again?

Mike

No it's not just you. It has been tediously slow today. In fact this mornign I just gave up waiting for the pages to load.

In fact, over the last 3-4 days it seems to have deteriorated a lot.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Ditto, although it seems OK once I've got into the site itself.

Carole

Rick

There've been some UK-based net infrastructure problems today, particularly this morning. Well, problems with Sky and EasyNet got media attention, anyway: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/18/sky_london/

Ken

I have found the Forum slow today taking about 12 to 15 seconds for a response. Reminded me of the old days with the 56k modem!
Ken P

Rick

I was finding it slow from work most of the day, too. However, the BBC and sundry other sites were also just as slow...