• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 16 March (Double Shadow Transit)

Started by MarkS, Mar 17, 2014, 00:02:01

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Taken around 10:50pm on Sun 16 March.
IS DBK 21 on Celestron C11 with 2x Barlow
500 frames at 1/30sec stacked in AutoStakkert and post processed in Registax
The shadows are of Io and Ganymede.

Here's one from earlier in the evening just after Ganymede had passed in front and before its shadow was cast on Jupiter:

Mark

Tony G

Mark

I was wondering if you managed to get these last night. Great images, well done.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ivor

Good effort, gald to see the wind was better on Sunday night.

MarkS

Quote from: Ivor
Good effort, gald to see the wind was better on Sunday night.

Guiding was much better than Saturday.  I was getting 0.4arcsec RMS for long periods on my belt drive EQ6.  It occasionally went above 0.5 RMS.  The type of the seeing conditions helped.  It was the high speed "jittery" kind of seeing instead of the "slow wave".  Guiding works much better with the former.

JohnP

Very nice indeed Mark - looks spot on to me. You did well... John

Carole

I particularly like the one with the red spot.

Carole

julian

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Fay

Nice Mark. i did do one, with only one moon,  myself but looks a bit tatty. scope not big enough!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Quotescope not big enough

But I thought size didn't matter  :oops:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I've managed to tease just a bit more detail out of the Jupiter/Ganymede image by using 2500 frames instead of 500.  Here they are side by side:

Carole

Certainly a lot more detail Mark, was definitely worth doing.  Looks like a bit of detail showing on Ganymede.

Carole