• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Leo Triplet, 23 March 2012, Rother Valley Campsite

Started by The Thing, Mar 26, 2012, 17:59:48

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Yeeha! Now I'm cookin' on gazzzz 8).

30x300s @ iso800.  LX90 8" UHTC, Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor (f5.2), Canon 1000Da (no CLS-CCD filter), APT, PHD, QHY5 on Finderscope, Skycharts.

This is as full size as it gets as I always have problems getting a finished viewable file out of IRIS. This is a screen shot! There are some very strange dark squidges along the bottom of the image, any ideas what could have caused it? I have cropped most of it out.
[rubbish image removed]

Mike

Very nice detail Duncan but your colour balance is off. The image has a green cast to me.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Greeny yellow I'd say, looks like if you can get the colour balance right it will be good.

The Thing

MarkS

Looks good Duncan.

You've processed it well to show some good detail and excellent colouring in the galaxies.

Your focal reducer is working well and your collimation looks spot on - the distortions are well under control and are very symmetrical.

Nice one!

Mark

Mike

Colour much better on the reprocess. Excellent detail. Probably your best image yet.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Really like the reprocess Duncan, nice colour.

Carole

The Thing

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try it with Mark's magic IRIS script when I get a chance to see if I can get more out of the subs.

JohnP

Detail in galaxies is looking very good Dunc. Have to say your black point is VERY clipped but I suspect you did this to hide those weird gradients at the bottom of image... Nice one,  John.

The Thing

Thanks John.

If anyone can make a suggestion as to the nature of the weird gradients...

JohnP

Well it looks pretty severe - is it on all frames? What about light leakage somewhere - do you have laptop nearby? Have you got the viewfinder on your camera covered....what about darks did you do any?  John

The Thing

10 darks from library at correct CCD temp, good flats, camera ep covered.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

JohnP

Well if it happens next time you image I would suggest doing a single dark to eliminate light leakage then I would suggest culprit is either reflections somewhere or perhaps CCD icing up...

julian

RobertM

Looking excellent Duncan and the stars seem pretty good to the edge.  I would say in this LT the background looks blacker that a black thing painted black - but probably not much you can do about that without some gradient removal tool ? I didn't get to see the orginal but the colours look ok on this one.

Robert

mickw

Looks really good Duncan, nice detail and colours.

I can just make out the gradients or whatever, looks like a couple of arcs across the bottom of the image.  It looks like you could be picking up a reflection from somewhere.  Were the Taj Mahal lights on ?  I thought your tube and dewshield were flocked though.
Is it possible that dew could be collecting on the inside of the dewshield at the open end ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thanks everyone, yes I made the background very black to hide the gradients/artefacts. It could easily be reflections, I probably should flock inside the t-mount as well.

I don't think it was the Taj Mahal lights Mick, I need to examine the flats, I think there may have been light leakage when I took them. The funny thing is it looks like the effect you get when the back of a film camera isn't sealed properly or you don't put the lid on the film processing tank properly before you put the lights on. Weird.