• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep space objects seen at Otford

Started by RSummerfield, Nov 20, 2022, 13:16:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RSummerfield

A few of the deep space objects viewed at the November observation evening, at Otford.

AndrewRamsay

The Dumbell and Ring look amazing for such a short exposure.  I presume you would get better results for M31 and M82 if you could have used a longer exposure.  All the same, impressive results.

Carole

I believe these were viewed Andrew and not imaged.  Presumably using an internet photo for display. Looks like we need an observing section.

Do correct me if l am wrong as it says "viewed" at Otford.

Carole

Rick

An Observing Evening Report could go into Announcements, Meetings, Events or something less formal into Alerts! Questions? Discussions... (or even Chat, I guess).

RSummerfield

Carole, they were both viewed and imaged at the same time, the Unistellar eVscope telescope that I used, performs live "stacking" of 4 second exposures, displaying the result in an "eyepiece" on the side of the telescope and transits them to any mobile device for storing of the image.
What is displayed in the circle overlay, in the images shown above, is what is seen in the "eyepiece", none of the images are from the internet.

Richard "Rick" Summerfield

Rick

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds like a very interesting bit of kit.

When you post images, please do mention how and when images have been captured. Folk here are interested to know the details, not just to look at the final results, and text in the images themselves isn't necessarily readable.

RSummerfield

Rick, thank you for the advice.
I'm sorry I didn't add any technical data to my image as I didn't realise that the OAS gallery and the OAS forum, didn't share all the technical data that is recorded in the OAS Gallery.

Still learning!

Richard "Rick" Summerfield.

Carole

So are you saying you actually imaged these.  As you said "viewed" at Otford? 

If imaged they are mightily impressive to get them all in the same evening. 

Carole

RSummerfield

Carole, my Unistellar eVscope telescope is as an "observational" telescope, rather than an "Astrophotography" rig, I would describe it as a digital telescope.
It is a Newtonian telescope, where the secondary mirror is replaced by a digital camera, the output from the camera is viewed through an "eyepiece" on the side of the telescope, similar to a normal Newtonian telescope. Since the telescope is controlled over a Wi-Fi link, what is shown in the "eyepiece" is also shown on any phone/tablet that is connected to the wi-fi link (upto 8 phones can be linked to the wi-fi at a time). When the telescope is working in "Enhanced Vision" mode, it takes multiple 4 second exposures, and stacks them, showing the resultant "stacked" image in both the eyepiece and on any linked mobile phone. For example at our last observational meeting at Otford, both I, as the controller and one other member were linked to the wi-fi from my telescope, enabling both of us to save what was being viewed at that moment in time to our phones, as mementos of the observational meeting.

I have inserted a link to the Sky at Night review of my telescope, just in case you wanted some additional info about this telescope.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/telescopes/unistellar-evscope-review/

Richard "Rick" Summerfield

Carole

Mightily impressive, I have not heard of this system before.  I would say they are classed as images, even if they are done in a completely different way to conventional Astrophotography.

I presume this is what people call EEVA which I have heard of but didn't really understand what it was.

Carole

Rick

Quote from: RSummerfield on Nov 21, 2022, 16:09:00the OAS forum didn't share all the technical data that is recorded in the OAS Gallery
It doesn't get copied across automatically, and unless you put a link back to the Gallery from the Forum it's not always that easy to find, particularly if a lot of images have been added recently.

Quote from: RSummerfield on Nov 21, 2022, 16:46:13upto 8 phones can be linked to the wi-fi at a time
That would make it an excellent instrument for outreach-type activities.