• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CPU fan revving again all the time

Started by Fay, Apr 03, 2012, 20:57:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

when i look in Task Manager, Google Chrome.exe is on there 4 times. Is that right?

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

well just had another look & they have gone, so dont know what that is about

Mike

If you mean in the 'Processes' tab, then yes, it is pretty normal for there to be several.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

oh ok thanks Mike.i think i will have to drag the cpu out & investigate for dust. it wont be easy with this desk i now have! But needs must

Mike

If your fan is running constantly then the fan is obviously not cooling the motherboard down and hence it's working overtime to compensate. Yes, you will need to open it up and give it a good clean and vacuum.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Hope it's not like this: http://imgur.com/d6Czy (not for the squeamish, even if it is somewhat contrived...)  :bug:  :o

Fay

good grief i did clean it last summer! I thought it was AVG Accelerator, have turned it off but it is still the same

Fay

have blown the cpu, but cant get the speakers to work properly. there is sound coming out of the external speakers, but really bad quality. I have checked the two cables & they seem ok. Please has anyone got a clue?

Thanks

Fay

What a nightmare, after 3 hours it is ok. I turned it off again & it came back ok!!!!!!!! the power had gone off but also I had had the cpu out to clean, so was not sure what it was that caused it.