• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orion Wide field (sorry yet another) reloaded

Started by RobertM, Mar 31, 2012, 13:44:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Taken from La Palma recently with SXVF-M25C+ Canon 200L lens @f/2.8 on the Astrotrac.  24 x 200s using a Baader Neodymium filter, processed in PixInsight.  Could have been better I think but there you go.

Here's the full size for those that want to see the warts up close : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7031820769_4349fc9599_o.jpg

Robert

Carole

QuoteCould have been better I think but there you go
What do you mean "could have been better", it's an excellent image.

Carole

JohnP

Looks a tad soft - focus not spot on... (could be my eyes though..) How many stars blimey....!!!!

Didn't know you had been to La Palma.. Hope you had a good time..

John

MarkS

For only an hour and 20 minutes of integration time that is not bad at all.  The colours look good and there is plenty of background dust appearing.  I agree with John that the focus does not look spot on.

Quote from: Carole
What do you mean "could have been better", it's an excellent image.

Unfortunately, the better you become at astro-imaging the more self-critical you become.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Robert,

I agree a bit soft, but very very flat for a SLR lens.

Chris

Jim

Why the filter Robert, did you have much light pollution?

RobertM

I'm going to give it a reprocess, the noise reduction was a bit naff due to me forgetting how it's done!

John,  Yes I had a great time, I even spent a day up on the peak looking at the array of scopes they had.

Jim, although all the street lamps are Sodium full cutoff by law the villa I had was on a steep hill so there was one shining directly on the sun deck where I was imaging !  Also even with full cutoff street lights there was some LP because of all the Saharan dust brought on the wind (my bad luck with the weather).  It kind off spoiled things a bit hence the LP filter.

RobertM

I've reprocessed to get a bit more out of the nebula using HDR range compression and attacked the noise a bit - not too much I hope!

Warties: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6896770018_dfa7273459_o.jpg

mickw

I agree it looks soft but really like the reprocess
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional