• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Elephant Trunk nebula OSC Narrowband

Started by JohnDeathridge, Jul 01, 2023, 15:04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDeathridge

Elephant Trunk nebula using Optolong L extreme dual narrowband filter. First go at using an OSC narrowband filter and processing a Hubble type scheme in PixInsight. Of course no sulphur so this is primarily HOO as opposed to SHO but the colours come out pretty well with Curves.

Carole

This has come out really well. 

Normally when l see dual band images in HOO there is no blue. 

What channels were the filters applied to?

Carole

JohnDeathridge

Hi Carole sorry busy weekend. So simply put this is a sort of SHO using a sudo blue which is created by splitting the l extreme into RGB removing the blue as its not very good and creating a new blue by combing Red and Green and then recombining. PixInsight has this  great process called pixelmath that allows you to perform a number of tricky functions including channel merging and adding stars back to an image one removed. Of course I have to up the colours such as yellow etc to increase the colour saturation and  depth PixInsight has this process called Curves which is great.

Roberto

You are doing excellently John!  That's a great image and you have really mastered your camera and filters.  Well done indeed 👌

Roberto

garrick

Hugh

Very dramatic image!

My pareidolia has kicked in and I can see an animal face/ dog like with the dark area lower right centre being the nose and then two eyes either side higher up?

~ Hugh

Carole

The Thing