• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Digital SLR images

Started by JohnP, Nov 08, 2004, 02:01:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

This is a question for Mike - Would it be at all poss to post anything taken from your D70 at various Headcorn Weekend's - I'm very close to parting with £500 for an EOS 300D & it would be good to see the type of things you managed to get using a regular tripod at a dark site. I'm interested to see the type of mag's you could record.

Cheers,  John

Mike

John,

Will post some up tonight if possible. The 300D is a good camera and has produced some excellent results. The Nikon D70 that I use is comparable in its results, but it is a better all round camera with far more control over exposure, etc.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

OK John, here are 3 pics from the Feb 2004 DSC :-

http://mikemc.ath.cx/DSC/DSCFeb2004.htm

These images have not been processed apart from having an equal exposure dark frame subtracted to remove the amp glow. They were all taken unguided from the top of the ETX125 on an approximate alignment.

I haven't tried to find out what mag they go down to but there is certainly lots of stars!

(p.s. the focus is slightly out as they were done visually and not through the laptop)

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2004-11-08 21:14 ]
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Thks Mike - I managed to take a look at a few of them (Very slow download for some reason even with my 1Meg BroadBand)- Like you said lots of stars. I'm convinced I need one. I'll go for the Canon though as I already have lenses & the pennies are less. I don't think lack of manual settings will effect ability to take Astro-photo's although might be of benefit for normal pics.

Cheers,  John

Mike

The pics are being served from my home server. As the bandwidth is also used for downloading stuff it won't be particularly fast.

Rocket Pooch

there like really wide field!

Mike

Exactly - Even attached to a scope the image is wide field. Which is great if you want wide field, but it means you have to put some heck of a magnification to get close to anything.

JohnP

Just ordered a 300D - Can't wait for delivery - should come Monday.

I did a quick calculation on FOV & I reckon that when I put it on my Tal-2m (1200mm F/L) I should get about 1deg X 43arcsecs & when I use the 135mm lens that I already have I should get a whopping 9deg X 6deg...!

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Thats big!

Its clear tonight, might go out in a minute if I can keep awake :sad: