• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M45 with Fuji Print Film!

Started by Rocket Pooch, Oct 31, 2004, 18:54:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

On Monday I had to use up some print film, so I took a couple of images using the Skywatcher 400mm and a 200 speed print film using a piggy back setup on the LX90.  This is a single 2 minute exposure.  I've tried to map the magnitudes, but my software only goes to mag 9 and there's loads of stars in there over mag 9.

If only I had one of those digital cameras :sad:

JohnP

Looks good - Did you have to do much processing after the scan?

John

Rocket Pooch

Appart from reduce the size and resolution none.

JohnP

I'm impressed that the sky is so black (no pollution) Is the blue around the stars the characteristic nebulosity that you see in all the M45 pictures? The picture also looks really sharp - I like it. I think I'm going to have a go at Piggy backing my old 35mm SLR on my Tal-2m & try a few pics myself next time I image.

Cheers,  John

Mike

It would be interesting to try the Nikon at the same part of the sky for the same exposure length and see what it looks like.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi all,

Yes its nebulosity its on the prints as well and is visible through the jellyscop, the big one 8" that is not the 3" er.

Mike, I'd love to play with the nikon on the LX90 and 80mm esspecially as I can autoguide on M45 with no problems using the LPI.  How about later this week?  It should be clear thursday or friday night, any time after 11pm should be ok because the gym lights go out then. Or if you have piggybacked onto the ETX125 you could borrow the LPI it will work with that as well, providing its polar aligned but you would have to use the Nikon lens.

P.S. If anyone is interested in the LX90's have a look at this PE for a cheapish telescope its not bad.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/lansma/temp.htm

Whitters

Hi Chris,
I've got down to mag 11.3 with a brief look.

The Guuide software I mentioned is at http://www.projectpluto.com/