• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Quotesmall dim red working light inside

Cheap and cheerful - any old light with a low wattage bulb/tube tin of red spray paint for the bulb - Done
You really need a low wattage bulb around 25 watt otherwise the paint will cook
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

You could always ask someone who works in Soho, for advice!!!!! :lol: :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Delphine

Photographers used to have ordinary red lightbulbs for their darkrooms.  Do these still exist I wonder?

Carole

QuoteYou could always ask someone who works in Soho, for advice!!!!!
:lol: :lol:

QuoteInsert Quote
Photographers used to have ordinary red lightbulbs for their darkrooms
Hmmm, I know some-one who has a dark room, might ask him.

Carole

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Tony that would work well, you could stick them on a dimmer so you can brighten it up for "entertaining"  ;)

The photographers dark room lights can be expensive if they are pukka "Safe Lights"

Carole

Thanks for the suggestions every-one, will ponder over what would be best.

Carole

Mac

why do you want a red light?
Its only you imaging.
I use a small desktop lamp when im outside. (White light)

Mac

PhilB

There are some ultra-bright brake light replacement LEDs on this page:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12047

They could be too bright at full power, but if run at a lower voltage might well give the sort of light you're after and would probably last for ever.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

I don't believe it!!!

I orded the observatory at Astrofest beginning of Feb, and the order only got put in on 24th March by Altair Astro.  Apparently they have to wait for a "Shipping slot!!" as it's being made and shipped from Canada!!!

Oh well, with the weather we've been having, couldn't use it anyway!!!

Hoping to pick the pier up when we go up to Kelling Heath, so should be able to get on with that while I'm waiting.

Carole

mickw

Quotethe order only got put in on 24th March by Altair Astro

Sounds like BS to me  :-?

Are they suggesting that the Pod makers won't accept an order until they've got a shipping slot  :roll: - Another mob to put on the never use again list    :(

Anyway, there's bugger all you can do about it now

Carole

QuoteAnyway, there's bugger all you can do about it now

Quite.

I'm not sure if there's another UK importer of PODs, there might be one, but I'd have to start all over again anyway.  I do think that there is some truth in the Shipping slots though as I have joined the POD discussion group and see other posts on there.  But they could still surely place the order and it comes with the next available shipment!!!

I find them very slow to reply to E mails on some occasions, and there's never any-one on the end of the phone.  I think they are probably a small company with little manpower. 

Having said all that people on the UKAI Forum were complaining about the same company Fay had problems with and stated the companies that were reliable.  AltairAstro were one of the companies they recommended thank goodness.

Oh well.  Keep on waiting.  I think there's a shipment due in at the end of April.

Carole

Mac

Any update?

did you get any joy with Altair Astro, only im also having problems trying to order an EQ6 mounting plate.
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5978.msg35774;topicseen#msg35774

Mac

Carole

I've not chased them up as I'm not expecting anything before the end of April. 

They are going to be at Kelling Heath, is it the adapter for the Pier you are after?

Carole

Mac

Quoteis it the adapter for the Pier you are after?

Yup it's the adapter for my Pier.