• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Altair Astro 6" RC

Started by Mike, Apr 11, 2011, 12:51:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Anyone used one of these or got any thoughts on it?

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16420&cat=268&page=1&js=n

Looks like a nice little lightweight and easily portable RC for doing the smaller objects with my DSLR. I had a look at one at Kelling Heath and they look nicely engineered.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike,

They are a little odd, the central obstruction is big and therefore your not getting a lot of light in, but there have been a few good images knocking about with them.  They are up for £350 second hand at the moment, so thats about £275 on offer and they have not been discontinued.  Probably a good scope if you want something small and manageable.

Just my 1p worth.

Chris

RobertM

Probably worth looking at Astronomics in the states as they are (were) only $299 (rip off britain strikes again !!!) plus all the spacers and flattener are cheaper.

I did look at it a while back but had an issue deciding what I'd use it for, you certainly can't beat it for value though.

Robert