• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M51 from France

Started by MarkS, Mar 29, 2008, 13:01:06

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I'm spending 10 days in SW France for Easter.  Weatherwise, the worst Easter I have known in France.

But last night (the 8th night!) the skies cleared enough to get 2 hours worth of 5 min subs over a period of 4 hours between the clouds.  The usual thing:  unmodified Canon EOS 300D on the C11 with a F6.3 reducer.  Guided by a 300mm Nikkor lens with an unmodified webcam stuffed in the back.

Maybe I can get some more data tonight.  This is still a work in progress - all I've done is a straight stack and some dynamic range adjustment.  Shown below is a crop of the fullsize image.  It's amazing what a difference dark skies make!

Fay

Wondered where you were, Mark. You have done well, yes, what a difference dark skies make! Look forward to the end product.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Now re-processed using IRIS.  I'm pleased with the result:

JohnP

Mark - that's brilliant - I'm not suprised you are pleased... It's amazing the images you are getting using a standard EOS300D..

Great shot - John

Fay

I agree Mark, wonderful!

RobertM

Another excellent image Mark, you never cease to amaze me what you can get from that camera.  If you ever fancy an upgrade then there's always one of these ...

http://www.centralds.net/en/index.htm

Mike

Wow. That really makes a difference. That is an excellent image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

What a camera, Robert, wonder how much it is

RobertM

Approx $2400 inc. derivery :)

MarkS

Thanks for all your positive comments. 

Robert raised an important and interesting point - cooling.  The ambient temperature was 8C when I took that image.  But CCD thermal noise doubles for each 6C temperature increase.  My calculations indicate this will have a noticeable impact on image quality in the summer months when the ambient goes up to 20C ( 4x as much noise ) or even 26C ( 8x as much noise ).

Tony G

Lovely image Mark,

until you see images like this, taken with the Canon, you would be out buying astro-cams costing and arm and a leg, not knowing the full potential of the DSLR.
These images only encourage me to try, weather permitting :roll:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson