• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A very quick m51.. Tuesnoad..

Started by JohnP, Apr 05, 2008, 16:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I was down at Tuesnoad last night. Weather was a bit 'iffy' - It was mainly cloudy but then every now and again you'd get 10mins of clear skies. It was frustrating trying to set up etc. in the clear periods. Anyway eventually managed just 2 X 4min frames of m51 before I gave up. Obviously image is very noisey but shows potential the dark skies gives. Shame I didn't get a chance to get more subs :-( As usual Atik16ic through MN56. If you look closely you can also see IC4278 & 4277 in the image.

Cheers,  John

Fay

Gosh, John, I'm, impressed!!!! How frustrating that you could not go further!

That would have been fantastic!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay - yep potentially it could have been a good image if I could of got a few hrs of data.. oh well just have to try again... John

Fay

JohnP

No - Why do you ask. The Atik 16ic is only 640 X 480 pixels..... John

Fay

I did not expect it to look so large

Fay

I think it is because, last time I tried it I had the camera on the WO with FR, whereas it should have been ED80 with no FR, so I saw what I had was not too big

JohnP

Yep - with CCD calc FOV of my MN56 & Atik 16ic is 17X22 arcmins - m51 is about 11X7 arcmins so fits really nice in frame.. Imaging at 2.03 arcsec/pixel which I think is fairly well optimum...

Just wish I had damn more time on it.... :-(

John.

Fay

I am pleased that I have been reminded of CCD Calc & have learnt a lot more about telescopes etc lately. I do not know about arc mins., will have to brush up.
I have only ever done a completed M51 with the webcam.