• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Crescent from Bromley - Not Blacklands...

Started by JohnP, Jun 05, 2011, 22:38:44

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK - Couldn't visit Blacklands this weekend :-( Anyway did some imaging on Thurs night (I think that was the night Fay got a shock bumping into Carole) - Used ED80 + OAG + Atik 16ic _ Baader 7nm Ha. Took 11X15min subs (first time I have ever fallen asleep whilst imaging).. Anyway quick process - no darks, flats.

Not too bad for Bromley - the 7nm certainly does a good job of isolating the Ha...

Thks,  John.

RobertM

What a great result, there's so much detail showing.  I'm really looking forward seeing the full narrow band monty - that is on the cards isn't it John ?

Robert
PS. I didn't know you were in to unattended imaging  :lol:

Carole

Great image John, didn't understand all the narrow band stuff as I am not into that type of imaging. 

Carole

mickw

Really nice John loads of detail in there
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

QuoteI'm really looking forward seeing the full narrow band monty - that is on the cards isn't it John ?

Unfortunately not Robert - I only have Ha filter - Never purchased S2 or O3...

I have some 'old' RGB data I took with a different scope a few years back so I may play with overlaying that...

First time I have ever fallen asleep... :-( I think since I got OAG working doing 15 or 30min subs is so boring... also have ultra VNC set up now

Thks Carole, Mick - Appreciate the comments.

John

Mike

Really nice image John and good scale.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Thks Mike - Yep just happens to fit nicely on my small chip - shame all the objects I image aren't at this scale... :-( John

Mike

Well there is a lot you can image that us guys with the DSLRs can't such as all those small galaxies and the great planetary nebulas that rarely get imaged.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Great image John, I'm sure some kind sole could lend you the  S2 and O3 filters so you can have a go at a Hubble palette image. I can't wait to have a go at it from Beckenham for comparison with Blacklands. Narrowband certainly knocks out the light pollution, shame I'm a DSLR imager as it's not really an option.

JohnP

Thks Dunc - but being a Astro CCD imager means all those lovely widefield DSLR images aren't an option for me (unless I want to spend 1,000's on a large chip camera)..

Cheers,  John

Mike

I've got a spare set of astronomik Ha, SII and OIII filters you can borrow John.

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
I'm sure some kind sole could lend you the  S2 and O3 filters

Quote from: Mike
I've got a spare set of astronomik Ha, SII and OIII filters you can borrow John.

So Mike's a fish?

Mike

Only on Frydays when in Finland wearing a Herring aid.

Carole

MarkS

Sorry - I made a fishy joke and forgot to comment on the image!

It's a stunning result John.  Technically everything is right and the scale and detail are great.  In spite of its low number of pixels that Atik is a very fine camera with excellent Ha sensitivity.  It takes a lot to beat it.

Mark