• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M57 and NGC7331 images uploaded

Started by RobertM, Oct 27, 2007, 22:52:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

After struggling with the colour balance on M57 in Maxim I've given up and posted it.  NGC 7331 should have been better but I gave it my best shot at processing out the artifacts.

Fay

They are very nice images Robert, I would be very happy with them.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Miriam

Brilliant pictures. A great image of the galaxy above M57, and as for the galaxies near NGC7331  - WOW!
Our catalogue has NGC7335 at mag 14.7, and as for 7336, 7337 and 7340 they are not even in there so must be mag 15+.

Mac

nice image, you can also just make out the bar spiral gallaxy ic1296 as well

RobertM

Thanks very much, I appreciate the comments.  I've uploaded the same image with the visual magnitudes overlaid for reference.

Ooops, went a bit wrong - need to alter the transparency a bit.

Fay

Robert, I have realised that I took 1 x600 sec of NGC 7331 the other week. Not nearly as good as yours but it was only one exposure.
What were your imaging details, equipment etc?

Fay

JohnP

Robert - Nice images - Like you say colour balance on m57 looks a little off. The nebula itself looks good but background looks a tad green (or at least on my monitor). Also looks like the stars may be saturated.. When I do LRGB my preference is to keep background sky a 'little' blue - but I guess thats down to personal preference. I soemtimes spend days messing with the colours..... Great image though. Deerlick grouping is very impressive - lots of faint fuzzies in there... Great image. Like Fay said can we have details of exposures please...

Thks,  John

Mike

Robert what scope. mount, cam, etc. are you using please?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Kit is:

Celestron C9.25 with 0.63 FR
Losmandy G11
Starlight-Xpress SXV-H9
Guided at 500mm with SX Guide cam

Am still getting to grips with Colour imaging and this is still WIP, hopefully it will get better in time.

Fay

Robert,
are you the one I met on the tube en-route to Astrofest, last year? Who moved to Tonbridge?

Fay

RobertM

Hi Fay, not unless I was drunk and forgot all about it ;)  Seriously though I don't think it could have been me because I still live in downtown Orpington.

It's possible you might have spotted me at one of the two 'Mikes Imaging' sessions I attended, the last one being where everyone was oooh-aaaring Google Earth running on that snazzy Apple laptop.  I also went to a few OAS meetings before the summer.

Fay

Ian

Fay,

you've not been chatting up total strangers again? The giveaway was the bit about talking on the tube. There are only two types of people who talk on the tube, and you ain't a foreiger...  ;)

Fay

I thought I had Robert's identity sussed, but obviously haven't. It could turn into TUBEGATE!

Fay

Rick

Good images, Robert. Please can you move the final versions into appropriate locations in the main gallery.

Mike

Very nice images Robert. Your colour balance is weird, especially as you have the same camera as I do. What filters do you use?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Thanks for all the feedback, it's really helpful.  Will now post to the Gallery after I've sorted out a few things with the colour and bloated stars.

Filters are Astronomik LRGB Type IIc but no LPR filter ie. eau naturelle

What's all this this about TUBEGATE ? I thought OAS was a decent society when I joined...

Fay

Don't worry, Robert, you are safe with us, we are very decent!
You are lucky you have joined a society, that not only has a lot of well established expert imagers, I think most societies only have one or two, but we also have a sense of humour as well!! 

Fay