• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Saturn, 24-04-2015 01:38:24, Manche

Started by The Thing, Apr 25, 2015, 15:04:09

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Taken on the last clear night of the long unprecedented run of clear but mostly useless nights (seeing bad, transparency good or vice versa with a lot of gusty wind). The altitude was only 21 degrees and I nearly maxed out the ADC adjustment. Technical data below from Firecapture and PIPP.

Registax output                                                           WinJUPOS de-rotation applied (slightly more detail!)

Location=49N 1.4W
Profile=Saturn
Diameter=18.20"
Magnitude=0.19
CMI=178.1° CMIII=199.7° (during mid of capture)
FocalLength=4250mm
Resolution=0.18"
Total input frames: 7329
Frames discarded with partial planet detected: 122
Frames discarded by quality: 3909
Total output frames: 3298
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   LX90 8" @ f20
Camera and filters used:   QHY5L-II Colour, PierroAstro ADC, 2x ED, 2" Baader Neodymnium filter
Processing applied:   Firecapture 2.4 PIPP 2.5.1 (Join mode), Autostakkert!2.5.1.7, Registax 6

MarkS

Fantastic!!!

That image really shows the power of the dispersion corrector (since Saturn is so low in the sky).

Lovely ring structure and shadows.  Processed to look very natural.

Excellent!  That really is a beautiful result.

Mark

Kenny

The Thing

Thanks guys. I'm well pleased with it. I have updated and added a version with WinJUPOS de-rotation. There is slightly more detail if you squint |)

Fay

Winjupos definitely gives a better result! well done again Duncan!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

That's really really excellent. 

Well done Duncan.

Carole

doug

They are amazing images, Duncan, Great detail and the rings look brilliant. One of your best. Keep up the good work and amaze us all.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...