• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar flares and more...

Started by Rick, May 09, 2024, 06:50:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Over the last few days the Sun has been very active. There have been several X-class flares and at least 3 coronal mass ejections that might have Earth-directed components. Keep an eye out for auroral displays.

See https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-flares.html

Rick

...and an X2.2 flare this morning to add to the fun.

Rick

...and an X1.0 one this afternoon. At last count that means there may be four coronal mass ejections with Earth-bound components that could stir up aurora and the like from tomorrow. If the night sky is clear, have a look north. You might get lucky.

Rick

X3.98 this morning...

Rick

First of the CMEs (or possibly a combined front from the first two) is expected to arrive by about 18:30 UTC.

Rick

Auroral displays all over northern and central Europe tonight.

Rick

...and an X5.4 flare around sunrise.

This solar storm is one of the biggest ever recorded.

Rick

My meteor cameras caught auroral activity most of the night. It didn't do the meteor detection many favours, but it's not something that happens often. At some point I will try to get something of the night's activity into the gallery, because it was a spectacular display. The world's news and social media sites will probably be full of photos far better, though.

Roberto

Great Rick, looking forward to your result.

Roberto

Carole

Been at DSC and only realised there was something afoot when I saw the massive sunspot group on Sue's Ha Solar scope.

Was in transit on the Friday evening and only managed some Smartphone images of the display.

Carole

Rick

Videos linked in Astrophotography (for want of a better place).

Sunspot group 3664 produced a couple more X-class flares (with associated CMEs) as it went round the far side of the Sun. One was X8.7, making it the strongest of this solar cycle so far. By comparison the X3.48 one that came after it was small...

Meanwhile, a sunspot group on the other side that's just rotating into view has also been producing some flares. There was one X2.99 one a day ago...