• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter, Io, Io's Shadow and Great Red Spot Animation Beckenham 2015-02-02 01:41

Started by The Thing, Feb 04, 2015, 16:28:14

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Another go. Like a twit I adjusted the atmospheric dispersion corrector after achieving amazing focus with a Bahtinov mask and had to refocus on Jupiter which was not so good.
Those who have had a go at this know that once you have got your target on the chip you don't want to slew elsewhere as can takes ages to find it again. Jupiter is 243 pixels across at 0.183"/pixel according to WinJUPOS. That makes the 640x480 frame 117 arcseconds across. My usual deep sky DLSR field is 1.1degrees across or nearly 34x as big. So it's at least 34x as hard to find the target!

Image date, time and location:
Beckenham 2015-02-02 01:41:00 (Mid time)

Telescope aperture and focal ratio:
Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Moonfish 2" x2 ED Barlow, Moonfish variable extension tube and t-mount adapter, Pierro Astro Astmospheric Dispersion Corrector, (in that order). Unguided HEQ5 (bearings, power socket and belt drive mods).

Camera and filters used:
Phillips SPC900NC, Baader Neodymnium, Revelation UV/IR

Processing applied:
PIPP (darks and flats applied), Autostakkert2!, Registax, JASC Animation Workshop. Colour balanced at capture

32 x 90s @ 10fps (f40, 4000mmfl)

1 x 90s @ 10fps (f40, 4000mmfl) derotated in WinJupos (02:07:29am)

WinJUPOS Ephemerides simulation

JohnP

RobertM

That's a really good animation Duncan and there are some amazing frames in there !

Robert

Kenny

The Amazing Duncan. Again. Even though I have some idea about how this magic trick is done, and have had a modest go myself, I am still in awe of this. So much detail. :)

Mac

Nice capture.

Just about to embarrass myself and ask where it was taken, but then read the details.  ;)

Mac

MarkS

You've done a really good job with that Duncan.  I love the animation!  There is good detail in every frame.

Mark